Honey Comb harvest

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by M88A1, Oct 21, 2011.

1. M88A1

M88A1 New Member

In my TBH I have 12 bars with filled combs. How many should I leave for the hive to survive the winter? The combs feel a good 10-15 pounds each.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

At 10 lb. each, I would leave 8.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    The combs feel a good 10-15 pounds each.

tecumseh:
    sounds a bit high to me but I am totally un acquainted with TBH. there are a number of factors to consider on how much to leave with the kind of bees in the box being a prime consideration <winter cluster size and spring brooding characteristics being important consideration.

research suggest that somewhere between 20 and 22 kg of feed is necessary for winter survival. leaving 60 pounds of honey or so is likely a number that includes a bit of cushion for various difference in the hive itself.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

My own thoughts on this....
    I'm no expert but I would leave all of them til Spring. If your bees survive til Spring, then you will get a big main honey harvest then. If you don't leave them 'quite' enough for the winter, then obviously you won't be getting any Spring honey at all. Are you sure enough that it's worth the risk for just a few pounds of honey? The extra combs of honey can help insulate the brood area on either side too, enabling them to have better access to honey as the cluster slowly migrates around inside the cold box during the winter, seeking food stores.
    I took a few combs of honey this fall, but it was in a spare half-empty super on top of the main Lang hive deeps. In a typical top bar hive there are no half empty supers- it's all one horizontal group of combs together.

5. M88A1

M88A1 New Member

Thats correct Omie, "it's all one horizontal group of combs together." they feel pretty heavy to me, i didnt weigh them on a scale but i was thinking about waiting but I just didnt know. thanks for the help and advice....

6. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

The correct time to harvest from a TBH is spring time. Leave them there until spring as said above and you will not have to worry if you left them "enough".
    Robert

7. M88A1

M88A1 New Member

Thanks everyone. That does make sense no wonder why I didnt think of it......lol