honey crystallization thoughts

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by pistolpete, Feb 13, 2013.

1. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Various things I've read have lead me to believe that unheated (raw) honey crystallizes weeks to months after extraction. My honey has shown no signs at all of doing so, going on six months after extraction now. My thought was that perhaps because all of my comb was newly drawn, there were no seed crystals present in the honey. Either that or the predominantly clover sourced honey is just not that prone to crystallization. I am really interested in thoughts and experiences in this regard.

2. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I've noticed in my short time of harvesting and bottling honey that different honeys will crystallize sooner than others. I think it depends on what the bees are bringing back home with them. My honey from last August has not crystallized either but some from my June harvest was forming crystals within a couple of months. Others with lots more experience can and will offer better explanations.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Pete having no crystals in the honey for the crystal structure to copy has an influence as you stated also as Wayne stated the source of the nectar and the percentage of the sucrose, glucose and fructose in the honey will efect the time it takes to crystallize. An other factor in the rate of crystallization is the temperature the honey is stored at. The optimum temp to promote crystallization is 56 degrease. Honey held at a high temperatures will not crystallize but will be effected by the long exposure to heat. Honey held at freezing temperature are extremely slow in allowing crystals to forum.

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Good post Apis.

To avoid crystallization I store my packs of cut comb in a spare freezer.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I had chunk honey and comb honey left over from 2011 that i had put in the freezer, when i took it out of the freezer the summer of 2012 it had crystallized solid while in the freezer?? Nobody has been able to tell me how this happened.:???: It was in good shape when i froze it (no sign of crystallization) The honey in question was honey left over from the Farmers Market that did not sell. Jack

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Good post Apis."
    "To avoid crystallization I store my packs of cut comb in a spare freezer."

ditto on the good post apis, and barbarian, i do the same, not sure why jack's comb honey crystalized? unless there was liquid beneath the comb?

pete, a couple of pdf's describing what apis said in more detail:

Honey Crystallization

National Honey Board on Crystallization

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I never had that happen before? it wasn't just a few jars it was several cases? i've got a couple cases of chunk honey in from last year,i'll see what happens. Jack

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the source of the nectar is the very first and most important component of this question. some honey just doesn't crystalize and some seems to crystalize almost over night. I have had small sample jars of honey setting in my unheated honey house for years and some of these never crystalize. <and a fairly nice explanation of this has been already provided by Apis above.

9. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I contribute to a charitable organization headquartered in Virginia. Every year they send me a pint of their self produced honey. A couple of months back I found a pint of honey from 2009. There was not a crystal in it. I finished it off in about a month, and it retained a constant viscosity and a yellowish color. Apparently, some honeys do not crystalize, at least not in a few years.

My favorite "off the shelf" honey is Fain's. It's produced in Llano, Texas in the Hill Country. Their honey will crystalize in two to three months. That's not a problem for me as I consume it before that time. Fain's honey tends to be very light in color.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sunflowers are a one good bet as the nectar source if you see honey crystalizing real fast. the nectar tends to light in color. wa-he-ya honey also crystalizes very fast and can be even lighter in color that sunflowers. as far as I know all the wa-he-ya is in the very western portion of texas and is consider a brush country shrub.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have had the same thing happen to me. I had 2 pails of liquid honey that I stored in the freezer for about 6 months. When I took them out and popped the lids off, I had some mighty nice creamed honey????? It was nice, but not at all what I was expecting.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

A lady came to the house yesterday wanting two quarts of chunk honey, i told her it was in the freezer and the trouble i had. So i went and got some and it looked good (no crytallization) i told her to let it thaw at room temp. and if it started to crystallize to take the comb out. She said once it thawed out it wouldn't have time to crystallize in her family.:lol: Jack

13. melrose

melrose New Member

Remember, Spring and Fall honey have diff tolerences also, maybe due to what the bees are bringing in. Fall honey crystallizes quicker, at least mine does.