Honey CSA

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by naurot, Dec 29, 2009.

1. naurot

naurot New Member

I was just checking this site out - www.bmorehone.org, and I wondered if there were any other honey CSAs out there. They're a not for profit organization, and supposedly a portion of the members' dues go to support the apiary enhancement fund (which directly funds the salaries of the apiary inspectors here in Md.). But $45 (1 share) for 1 lb of honey seems a bit much. I'm thinking forget almonds come to Baltimore. :yahoo:

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I wonder how many subscribers they actually have? Yankee Magazine used to have an add for "Rent a Beehive" and "Rent a Lobster Pot". I thnk that they were a much better deal than bmorehone. Butr maybe you actually get more than just a pound of honey for your annual dues.

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I'm not aware of any CSA's.

4. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

My guess is that they are really going for non profit status if they keep posting "organic" honey from the Baltimore area.

5. naurot

naurot New Member

No, you only receive 1 lb of honey per share. If you buy 5 shares, you'll also receive a honey pot. The honey is distributed in June/July, but in August you'll be able to purchase it in the Whole Foods around here (for a whole lot less I imagine). I'm only now beginning to realize what a deal Whole Foods is.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Sounds like a rip off to me. How do I get in on it? :)