Honey days...love em or hate them?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BjornBee, Sep 13, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Today I am going out to one of my yards to pull honey off of 20 hives. No big task other than the fact I hate pulling, uncapping, and processing honey. Of all the things in beekeeping, it it one of my least favorite. And after three days of rain, I hope the girls are happy out and about doing what they do.

Anyone still taking off honey?

2. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Hi BjornBee!
    Just a beginner question - since you are WAY up North - would this be the last time you pull honey this year - and do you take everything in the supers? I was told from a beekeeper in this area that you can take everything in the supers, but I am always on the side of caution and my supers are still on my hives - I took VERY little this summer since this was my first year of pulling honey. AND I don't want to take honey if they still need it to move down into the hive body for winter. We have had a heck of a honey flow in our area this year!
    I am going to have my mentor beekeeper come out and just check to see what I can take before I do anything - the last thing I want to to is take too much from the bees.
    And I do know one thing - extracting honey can be a mess! I think I will do things a bit differently next time - learn from mistakes ya know!

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

arkie,
    I normally pull honey as I need it. I do not keep supers on many of my hives as most are used for nuc building and I take brood frames from them throughout the season. In some of my out yards, I may have anywhere from a 1-1/2 to a 2 deep with 2 or 3 supers on all year long. I hate feeding and when I need to feed or build a new hive, off comes a full super on top of the new split and I know when I walking away, they have everything they need without me worrying about feed, etc.

The supers I pulled yesterday (13 in all) were really just extra full supers in knocking the hives down to a more manageable weight as I need to move these hive between now and next spring.

I do not advocate taking off honey this late. I normally take honey off by the end of June around here. Whatever they normally have on July 1 is what they have come September 1. They may still bring in nectar but with all the summer bees and a dry August dearth, it really is just enough many years to "maintain" till the fall flow. And I let them have the fall flow for fall buildup.

If you pull supers, just make sure they have enough AFTER you take the honey from above.