Honey Demand ?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Aug 23, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

I guess i'm to cheap, ($12.00 a qt. mason jar) had to fill orders of 60 quarts yesterday and more comming in. I have around sixty hives but only 25 to 30 produced enough surplus to sell, the rest are newly started hives, nuc's and some i should have requeened. We have a Fair Grove festival the last weekend of Sept. and the way my honey is flying out the door i'm not going to have enough honey to set up . I guess that's a good thing, but i do like to set up and talk to the people about bee"s. Several club members have went to $15.00 and $16.00 a quart and sell out? It cost $75.00 for a set-up fee (a booth) at the festival and the way my sales are going, i will probably only have enough honey left to pay the set-up fee :mrgreen: .The last two years i've been sold out by the first of Nov. and my customers say they are stocking up because they don't want to run out. Here's my price list, what do you think. Jack

Chunk honey qts. $14.00- pints-$8.00
    Reg. qts.$12.00-pints $7.00
    24oz Bear-$7.25 - 12oz Bears $4.00
    Comb honey 16oz box - $6.00 - 8oz box $3.50 (plastic clam shell boxes)

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I think you need to add on more hives. And I think you need to decide if you are making enuf from honey sales to satisfy your needs, monetery and otherwise. There are more things to gain from selling honey than just the money. But if you aren't making enuf then it wears on you and depletes the satisfaction of what you are doing.

You and I don't sell anything that is the same, except the 12 oz. bears. I wholesale mine at $2.75. So, I would recommend selling those 12 oz bears at $5.00 each or more.

As an indicator of what people will pay for honey, check out your local Health Food Stores and other grocery stores. You shouldn't be selling your honey for less, unless you are selling it to them and then you make it up in volume.

Your customers are getting an extra added value because they are buying your honey from you. People like that. Charge for it. You don't have to be greedy, but you aught to get something for it.

3. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

We charge 14$ for a regular quart and 7$ a pint. We're already sold out.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like you have several good reason to move your prices upward. at the end of the day when you sell to a local customer base you are selling more than just honey... that is you are also selling your reputation for producing a quality product.

my prices are just about exactly $1 per jar cheaper that what you have posted. I have been told that I am selling a bit too cheaply, but I don't like to restructure prices more than once a year. I am purposefully direct at the current time to sell my honey locally as much as possible. marketing charges here are minimized by selling almost wholly thru the farmer market. if I had to cough up a booth fee for a special event I would certain have to add that in to the price of my product.

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

From what we've seen the demand for honey is definitely on the increase! Not only the demand for "honey" but for raw, local honey. We don't advertise and only have a small amount of honey but this year I've had people asking for our honey non stop since January. The natural sweetener craze is on full blast...... sure does make me hope like crazy that our bees winter over well and are ready to split EARLY next spring!

6. Tia

Tia New Member

I have 75 people on my honey customer list. I let them all know on the same day, either by email or phone call that I have X number of gallons, first come, first served. I'm always sold out in 2 days. It's been that way ever since I started. People really like raw, unheated "marsh honey"!

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I charge $20/qt. and am nearly sold out already... the price obviously needs to increase again... probably will go up to $24/qt. next year and if that doesn't allow me to stretch out my supply at least until spring then I'll go up to $30 the following year.

8. Tia

Tia New Member

Supply and demand, eh, Bens-Bees?

9. brooksbeefarm

Ben, i'm glad your getting $20.00 a qt. but if i tried that here i would probably have quarts of granulated honey setting on the shelf. :mrgreen: Jack

10. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

That ain't no kidding Jack. :) 5 lb jars at Osceola Cheese were $16.50 the other day. 12 oz bears were $3.20. Real honey..

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I found a guy last year with beautiful sourwood honey for 8.50 a quart.

He sold out. RIGHT THEN !!

I got 14.00 a quart for it very easily. Gave me a nice profit on his labor.

12. brooksbeefarm

Like they say , there's a sucker born every minute. :mrgreen: Jack

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

You can sell that granulated honey for a premium price then... say, $40/qt. I used to think I should sell the honey that was left over after the strainers clogged cheaper than the stuff that went through the strainer, but quickly found that there's people out there that will pay more for that unstrained honey. Less work and more money for me. :Dancing: I am now of the opinion that no matter what the product is, there's people that are looking for just that and will pay good money for it. All you have to do is be the one that's willing to sell it to them... also, don't think that just because there's honey selling in stores cheaper than your prices that people will just go there... I've found that there's also people willing to pay a premium price just for being able to know the person they're buying honey from.

14. brooksbeefarm

I have toyed with the idea of making creamed honey to sell with my other honey at the farmers market, i've had people ask for it. With the 5 acre truck patch,60 bee hives, cattle and trying to keep up with 5 grand kids,it's getting to be more than grandma and grandpa can keep up with. :confused: My wife says if i don't cut back that she's going back to work :lol: . Jack

15. rast

rast New Member

I get,
    $6 for 1lb, inverted plastic jar with flip top lid or
    $15 for 3
    $8 for a pint mason jar for those that demand a mason jar.
    $14 for a Qt. or
    $40 for 3 Qt's.
    This leads me to a separate post.

16. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

It's a good idea to keep in mind the kind of market your selling to, also. We sell our honey mostly to 3rd and lower 2nd class folks, like ourselves. The only people around here who would pay 20$ a qt. or more would be the people in the mc-mansions up town and they probably would not buy honey from us.

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am not certain Wally's Baby Beek that I would even wish to think of folks (and most especially my customers) as either 2nd or 3rd class folks. Your observation is however well grounded in economic reality in that a communities income distribution does play an important role in how much folks can and will pay. If we moved this conversation to say marketing (vs pure economics) then 'price discovery' is a major part of playing that game with some success. what the idea of 'price discovery' suggest is that you will never know if 'your community' could and would pay $20/qt unless you ask this price. that is, if all you ask is $15 per quart how would you know if the consumer is willing to pay $20.

I would image that purple honey you had would in the proper market bring a $ figure much larger than $15/quart... but of course I am speculating.

18. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

WBB, I understand what you are saying in your post..... I just don't know if I appreciate your choices in phrasing the thought.

Thank you Tecumseh for trying to help steer her the right direction! *I* know that she meant absolutely no offense to anyone by what she posted, but those folks who don't know this girl (and her total lack of guile, or malice) may not take that quite the way it was intended.

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Absolutely no offense taken Mama Beek. I for one understood exactly what information Baby Beek was trying to relay.

What follows is just my take...
    I assume (a trait quite common to most folks, but certainly a malady amongst economist) that Baby Beek is pretty much a free spirited type (humm.. a characteristic that perhaps she and I share???). I also know from experience that your observation is extremely accurate. That is.... as an individual you can pay an extremely high price for saying things off the cuff and without consideration of other folks feelings. Most honorable folks will value the non filtered view... people with issues or other agendas can and will certainly use this character trait against you. Here on the cusp of the last (hopefully) decade or so of my life I would also suggest that the biblical phrase 'the first shall be the last' takes on a most meaningful personal message.

20. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

:oops: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound derogatory or rude. I suppose I should've been more careful with my choice of words. I am sorry if I offended anyone.
    Thank you, Tecumseh, for bring that to my attention.