honey extractor stainless steel: #201 vs #304

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by addam, Sep 19, 2013.

1. addam

addam New Member

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a new honey extractor and I would like to know your experiences with the diffrent kinds of stainless steel used on them (mainly #201 and #304) with regard to durability, rust resistance, ....

Thanks in advance!

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

either alloy is fine. About all alloys are highly resistant to corrosion and durability.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Addam:
    I know they cost more, but buy quality. Maxant and Dadant are what I have been using and I have no regrets. The first extractor I ever had was plastic, and when I loaned it out it came back with a big crack in it. Waste of $$$.
    Check kijiji often and you may be surprised at what pops up now and then. I check kijiji in a lot of the provinces (except Quebec, cause I cant read French and understand the ads) :oops:
    I do know that honey is miel in French though.

Maybe check this one out.
    http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et-vendre-autres-Stainless-steel-barrel-W0QQAdIdZ514770911

4. addam

addam New Member

Hi PerryBee,
    Thank you for the advice and the link too!
    I sent an email, and the person said me that it was already sold ... I'll keep an eye on kijiji ;-)
    I also looked to buy one from alibaba.com. However, I'm not sure it is a good idea, as there is no warranty on the quality of the product.
    I just looked at the ones sold by maxant, and I found the Maxant 6/3 Motor interesting. The only drawback for me is the number of deep frames it supports: only three.

5. Parksguyy

Parksguyy New Member

Extractors

Hi there, I debated long a hard before finally purchasing my extractor. I would have loved to get a Maxant but with only 4 hives and adding a trip cross the border to save on the shipping costs ... it simply was too expensive. However, I did find a company out of Vancouver "Honey King" which provided free shipping and what I think is a great product for the money spent. I got their side crank extractor which will hold 4 mediums just fine, its 18 gauge (which is heavier than even the Maxant) and I believe its 301 Stainless steel ... all for $309.00 plus HST. At the same time I purchased a SS sieve (cheapest price I've seem anywhere), same quality too. All this to say, I had my extractor and sieve within a weeks time delivered to my workplace (I live in the country) and having extracted 120lbs of honey last month, I've very happy with it!

6. addam

addam New Member

Have you the link of the website of that company? I googled for "Honey King" but haven't found it :-(
    ​Thanks

7. Parksguyy

Parksguyy New Member

Extractor

Sorry about that, the website is www.Kinghoney.com
    Kerry

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I realize Addem is in Canada but for beekeepers in the USA. King has offices on both sides of the boarder so you don't have to worry about brokerage fees, and the taxes will be what is required for you to buy from Washington state with it being shipped to your state. They have added other beekeeping products to the inventory over the last few months. Honey Refractometer $49.00. 5 Gallon SS Honey Tank with Stand $88.00, bee jackets and suits.