Honey Harvest needs.

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Gypsi, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Now it may not be a big deal to anyone else, but except for the year of EFB when I had to harvest all honey to save my bees, I have never had a significant honey harvest.

I started keeping bees in 2011, when Texas had 70 days over 100 and no rain, so drought brings dearth and I bought a lot of Sugar.

I got about 2 quarts of mesquite honey last year, when a 2nd mesquite flow happened. Little 4 oz gift jars and didn't need labels, all for friends and family. All 12 of them and an 8 oz jar.

Now I need labels. Havent checked the hive with 3 supers yet. I need a bee escape, had a house full of bees (well about 2 cups of bees that came in on the 10 frames I extracted) Had to bring the bee vac in to round them up. If one super can do that, 3 could be scary. Only sting was inside my suit sleeve, the wanderer eventually got bored and stung me.

Have to find a place to get labels printed too. If you have any suggestions, I'd like to hear about them. And if you've never harvested honey, here is your place to ask about tools, etc.

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

you can print your own labels, plenty of free programs and just goto staples and you can buy the stick on labels on sheets and you just put them in your printer, I print my own address labels that way..I havent had enough honey yet to worry about extraction tools, im hoping one day I do..lol
    I googled " free label making software" and a ton of free ones came up, just pick one that looks like it has what you need...do you have a color printer for the computer?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018

3. Gypsi

I printed my own labels last year online and they were pretty awful actually. I may have to search.

In the meantime my 3 boxes of honey on the propolizing bees hive is 2.5 with some drone brood. The deep super is full of honey and phenomenally heavy. But they have lost their queen sometime in the last month, and I hadn't opened the hive. I have the parent hive in an outyard, they still have a queen, and homeowner didn't feed like she was supposed to, it has shrunk due to drought and low food supplies, so I think I will bring that one home, the DNA was very good, docile, good production and super propolizers. I like propolis. I see less disease with propolis. I made an escape board and put it on that tall hive tonight. Man a deep full of honey weighs a lot, but I got it back together. Oh and that drone brood may be laying worker, but I don't think so, not enough of it. Queen ran out of sperm. Just like 3 1/2 frames, medium, and half of one side with some popcorn brood. Hoping its not laying worker.

Honey's nice. Bees rock!

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

the bees my friend gave me are russian, so im hoping she will fill the frames with brood, im upstate this week and will do a hive inspection when I get back, I filled the feeders before I left, and with all the houses so close on the island and automatic sprinklers even in dry weather there are plenty of watered gardens with flowers and I have my koi pond for them to drink out of...

5. Gypsi

I wish you luck. My ladies pulled my leg, not the first time this breed has done. Whole box of honey, except only the top inch on 6 of the frames is capped, 2 are good and all capped, 2 are half capped and half drone brood. They are foundationless frames I think, so I can use them for comb honey. May not need fancy labels after all. I don't know what that box weighs, about to weigh 4 frames. in a nuc

6. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut Member

I had my local T-shirt shop make up some peel-n-stick labels.
    about 90 bucks for 500 of them......made to fit the lid of a small-mouth mason jar
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Gypsi

Very nice. I just bottled honey and hoped to shop and haven't had time yet. Hopefully this coming week