Honey in Jam/Jelly?

Discussion in 'Your Favorite Recipes' started by heinleinfan, Oct 6, 2012.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I'm going out tomorrow to get a pot big enough for water bath canning and some jars, and I'm going to try canning for the first time ever. Going to start with the safer things; jam/marmalade, pickles, tomatoes and tomato sauce.

I was wondering, looking over jam and jelly recipes, they all have tons and tons of sugar. Can I use honey instead of sugar? Would it still can or does the sugar help preserve? Should I water bath can if I do jelly this way, when usually it doesn't call for it?

Has anyone ever used honey instead of sugar? I know it would make for a thinner product, I'm okay with that. I'm just wondering if it would still be safe.

I've got some ground cherries and lots and lots of green tomatoes. Found two great recipes (green tomato ginger marmalade!) but I sure would like to use honey from my ladies if I could instead of store bought sugar.

2. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

3. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

The pick your own site is a great one! i'm a newby canner and have learned alot from it

4. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Thank for the link, Daniel. Oddly enough I have totally seen that page before, a couple years ago when I started cooking with honey. I had completely skipped over all the canning stuff because at that time I wasn't ready to take the plunge, and then I forgot all about it!

5. Minz

Minz Member

I did my first blueberry jam this year. The Pectin had to be liquid; half the sugar was replaced with honey. I used the dark, strong honey and the honey overpowered the flavor of the blueberries. More of a blueberry infused honey than a honey flavored blueberry jam. After that I have noted that the darker or ‘stronger’ the flavor of the honey the less of a substitution you can make and not have it overpowered.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

7. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I mostly dug around the internet. I have seen that book many times, came across a few recipes/instructions from it, and might have to pick it up when we get a bigger garden and I finally have a bigger kitchen!

8. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Hein,

I make and sell Jams and Jellies, I also make pickles, pickled okra, relishes. Even made some pickled green beans this fall.
    There is a pectin out there that is best to use with honey. It's called Pomona's Pectin, It doesn't require sugar to jell.
    Water bath canning is fine for jams, jellies and pickled stuff. I would not do it with tomatoes and vegetables. If you do water bath tomatoes you'll have to add a little lemon juice.

Veggies really need a pressure canner. I can everything from my garden in a pressure canner. Love doing it.
    I also make soups, chili and speghetti sauces and pressure can them also. I love it.

Have fun.