Honey Label Design Finished

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by blueblood, Aug 29, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

One of my brothers just happens to be a graphic artist and offered to design a label for me. I am paying him in a denomination of honey for this task....:wink: We went back and forth for a while and finally came up with the first of the two labels you will see in the photo below with the comb background. I have not asked him officially if he would be willing to do this for other folks but he just may be interested. He is not bound by shape or color of the sticker label as he has the proper equipment to cut/color to fit your imagination. I had to print screen copy the Adobe file because I could not figure out how to save the picture in any other format. It cut off the second design but we are not using it anyway.

scotts honey.jpg

2. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

Beautifully done-all the pertinent information and an excellent design! We improvised this year since we didn't expect any honey but hopefully we'll have both honey and a new label next year.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks! I am a big fan of retro/vintage everything and this fits very nicely in that genre.

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Great looking label. :thumbsup:

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I like it, it looks very old. :thumbsup:
    Is the overall design based around a "badge"?

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ya know, I guess I had that in mind somewhat. It does have a shield like quality. I actually had a neat badge type design on the drawing board but didn't end up trying it. I must have went through 50 names before I just settled on our family name. At one point, I had " 4 Daughters" and "Sandy Hill" as serious contenders.

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

That looks good! Plus there's space for modification (like a long name or something). :clapping:

8. Marbees

Marbees Member

Very nice, like that retro touch:thumbsup:

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Nice looking, but it would be illegal in NC. Here, you have to have address, phone number, or some way to contact.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

same here also Iddee.

11. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

12. jim314

jim314 New Member

Nice label, I like it :)

13. jim314

jim314 New Member

Oops, I didn't know that. I've got the city/town on the label but not the actual address. I guess if I ever sell the 200+lbs I've already got labeled, I'll have to redesign it. Or sooner if I get caught. But I wonder about enforcement since the local Churches Chicken hands out packets of colored HFCS labeled as honey.

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

The definition of "address" is not clearly defined by state law on this matter. I would imagine if you are registered as a business by the name you are doing business as, you won't be hard to find with city, state and zip. I see large honey farms selling it just like this without using a specific street address. Otherwise, I have everything required. I will add more specific information concerning my address when the State tells all the home based chicken egg sellers they actually have to be licenses to sell their eggs.... Eggs, absolutely are a potentially hazardous food according to state law. Honey is not. This is the same argument I have about the law forcing drivers of vehicles in this state to wear seat belts but allows motorcyclist to avoid wearing a seat belt or helmet...it's messed up!

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

There you go trying to apply intelligent logic to craziness! LOL :lol:

(besides, I have an egg now ::doing happy dance::)

16. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha! I know, silly isn't it? I may just add my complete address and telephone number in the most tiny font possible and print it along a line in the graphics somewhere...the state doesn't say it has to be clearly visible that I am aware of. It's the rebellious nature in me. Like, the first things I would do to my bicycles when I was a young man, take the relfectors and kick stand off. :grin:

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    Otherwise, I have everything required. I will add more specific information concerning my address when the State tells all the home based chicken egg sellers they actually have to be licenses to sell their eggs.... Eggs, absolutely are a potentially hazardous food according to state law. Honey is not.

tecumseh:
    there is a large difference here between selling out of a retail location and selling from the back of your pickup (or home). this applies (here) both to honey and eggs. at this point in time I sell all of my crop from the back of my pick up so my own labels are not absolutely legal for retail sale... which is to say my current labels do not contain my address but do contain my phone number and therefore some connection can be made between myself and the product in the bottle.

18. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

RJ Honey who is in Lebanon,In said this when I asked them

"Need the business name, where it was bottled and weight. This is only for retail sales."

Guy in Brownsburg, In seems to sell quite a bit. Has own webpage and will ship. Here is his label. http://www.bluffwoodcreek.com/honey/jarp.jpg

I emailed the Indiana Beekeeper Assoc. to see what they say.

19. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hiya Crazy..thanks for the info. That label is surely unique. Here is a 2009 link that explains this issue along with what is or is not allowed to be sold without being inspected. I will always be considered a HBV (home based vendor). I am not interested in the least to sell retail. According to the labeling requirements listed here, it also looks as if we need a date of production and a statement about how the food is home based and has not been inspected by the state dept. of health. Personally, I that is going a bit far for me. I will just stop selling it and go back to simply enjoying it for the hobby and skip the extra cash flow from it if the department of health label nazis troll on me over those two items missing. I have never seen ANY of these label items, or label period, when I buy a tomato from a farmer's market. Are they expecting produce sellers at farmer's markets to paste a label to each tomato, onion, etc.?

http://www.in.gov/isdh/files/HEA_1309_guidance_final_6_11_09.pdf

Either way, I did finally have my brother add two small lines under and over my city/state/zip with my address and cell number on the label. It did not detract from my label at all. In fact, it's probably a good thing. If the folks that buy the honey want more, they can call me for more. Furthermore, I will probably have a web address on the label eventually.

20. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

This is what they said from the Indiana Beekeepers Ass.

Hi Brett,

You may find the requirements on the National Honey Board.

Basically it is:
    Name of the product "Honey"
    Your Name
    Address
    Phone Number
    Net Weight (pounds/ounces and metric)

http://www.honey.com/nhb/industry/labeling-information/

Thanks,

My response:

This is why there is confusion on what can be used on a label. This is mine. I was told cause I will be selling to friends and such this is ok.

Hunter's Honey is a big operation and sell everywhere. How can they have labels like this? I've talked to them and know the FDA has been out to check him. No issues. He also pointed out that I don't need all the info because I sell less.

Bluffwood Creek Honey has no info.

http://www.bluffwoodcreek.com/honey/jarp.jpg