Honey on a burn?

Discussion in 'Bee Medicinals' started by Omie, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

My husband and I spent today making apple sauce. I stupidly wound up splashing boiling water over my hand while doing the canning, mostly over my whole palm but the fingers too. I put my hand under cold water for a minute, but my whole hand kept feeling strange, like icey and hot and tingly all at the same time, and it looked rather pink. I thought uh-oh, maybe this is a real burn and my whole hand is going to blister up... :shock:

Well as some of you know my first honey harvest is dripping and de-bubbling right now, so it took a little scoop of fresh honey and globbed it over my whole hand, then put on a surgical glove. Three hours later I took off the glove and rinsed my hand and it looks and feels totally normal now.
    Did the honey do something? Who knows? But my hand sure seems all better! :D

Has anyone else here used honey on burns?

2. pturley

pturley New Member

From what I understand it has be used for millennia. I once read that Roman soldiers used to carry it for use in wound care. Propolis used as a surgical glue. (I wish I remembered where I read that though...)

I know it will heal up a cut much faster than bacitracin and a band-aid, or a split lip (from soccer).

3. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Omie,
    It's for real!
    Honey is a powerful healer for burns.
    You're fortunate to have thought of it early enough to have it serve as a preventative, rather than later on, as a "repair".
    A neighbor of mine got severe third degree burns across her abdomen from a spill of boiling soup. She didn't catch it as fast as you did, but while mending, the only things that gave her comfort and made her feel that she was healing were the honey-soaked bandages she would apply across the burnt area.

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Ooh, applesauce burns... ouch. One year I had the bubbling sauce splurp up and land on my hand as I was carrying the full pan over to the canning area. Couldn't drop the pan, just moved as quickly as possible. I had no honey at the time, but took a big slab off the aloe, cut it open, and taped the entire leaf to my hand. It completely healed with no scar.

I've read that honey is widely used on serious burns because it does not stick to the damaged skin, as well as having antibacterial properties. I have used it when my cat was injured, since I knew she would lick off anything I put on, and some of the medications the vet gives you are nasty toxic.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

With a welder, 3 teens, and an extremely clumsy cook in our house we use a lot of honey on a lot of burns. Hubby can't deal with honey on him at work though so he carries a small bottle of lavender essential oil in his work bag, I keep one in the kitchen too...it's the only thing we've found that takes the sting out faster than honey and doesn't get us sticky.

WBB didn't mention the herb infused oil that saved her from an ER visit when she decided to play firewalker in front of the fireplace though. We also make colloidal silver to treat burns with. We are one family that has learned A LOT about burns.

7. Omie

Omie New Member

MB, that's fascinating. Thanks!

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Sure Omie. No trouble at all. Sorry that you got a burn, no matter how you tend to them, they hurt!

9. Omie

Omie New Member

Happily, after the honey-glove treatment, my hand seems completely normal! So it was a real quick boiling water burn that would have been worse if it was hot apple sauce or hot wax or something that stuck to my hand for a few seconds.

10. RachelHaygoodNC

RachelHaygoodNC New Member

Honey is the best thing for burns. And since it's so sticky I have tried a lot of other things. Like efmesch said, it needs to be preventative. Just wish it wasn't so sticky! The times I have sucked it up and used it, you wouldn't even know I was burned.