honey production

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Buzzen, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

How is your honey production coming along? My hives are not doing too well. Way behind last year at this time, sure has been dry.

2. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

My bees filled a deep body in two weeks at most. There is still activity at the entrance that indicates they will fill yet another. Since it has been close to a week since I last checked they may be half way there already. They have a med super to fill as well. Not really thinking the luck will hold that long just hopin. It did accour to me that a full super that weighs 90 lbs is a whole lot of work for those little girls. I am impressed.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Have five colonies, four of which raised their own new queens this year.
    Didn't expect too much honey because of the hot very dry weather, but was hoping for more than last year, when I got about a gallon from maybe 5 medium super frames of capped honey.

Looks like I'll get two mostly full and capped 10-frame medium supers by the end of August. I had put one super on each of my two most populated hives in mid Spring. I checked the two supers today and they are both about 75% full and capped...looking good! But not enough to put on second supers.

I'll feel pretty lucky if I get two whole supers capped- that would represent almost 4 times the honey I got last year and I might actually get 3 gallons or more. That would give us plenty of honey for the year and enough to give jars to a few friends and family Christmas presents. That would meet my personal honey goals for the first time, and I'd feel happy with that. :smile:

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

I got a supper of honey, 8 frames , they have one supper of honey I left. I got a little more than a gallon of honey and boy is it good. I put the scraped frames back in for them to clean up and they have more than half of the frames filled back up. Don't know where they are getting it from, for all flowers but a few I see are in bloom. We had a bad dry spell of 6 weeks and than we had some rain off and on since than and now no rain in forcast for next week. The bees may be slowing down quite a bit by next week.

kebee

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am very slowly taking off my small honey crop here. I got a late start in beginning 'the thievin' thingee due to the fact that the last of my remodel of my honey house took a bit longer than I expected. I hope to have the last of the first round completed in the next two weeks.

6. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I got the first honey ever from my bees yesterday. Woohhooo! It was just one frame that I took out of the second brood chamber to free things up a bit. got about 5 pounds of honey out of that. They have two more deep supers just about filled, so I'm guessing I'll have around 100 lbs from a hive that started as a 4 frame nuc at the end of May. I could not be happier about the results, since I wasn't even counting on any my first year.

7. Tia

Tia New Member

This is a boom year on the Crystal Coast. I've taken off 180 lbs so far with another harvest on the way--boxes filled, just not all capped yet! Even the "newbees" are getting a harvest this year! Unusual for a hive just started to have surplus honey the first year, but it's happening here. Surprising considering how dry it's been. I'm just praying we won't have any hurricanes to dessimate the goldenrod crop like we did with Irene last year!

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

none of my hives are a year old yet and I have 1 hive with 5 nine inch boxes on it and 5 other hives with 4 nine in boxes, so I think Ill be getting some honey this 1st year just need to get a extractor.

9. Omie

Omie New Member

Geez, I guess SO! :thumbsup:

10. jb63

jb63 New Member

I found a fireman on craigs list that does extracting with a 20 frame radial extractor.I got 12 gal. of black berry honey out of 60 med frames, he kept the cappings and some honey in the capping tank and charged me fourty bucks.That was a win win he gets rewarded for his investment and work, and I drive off and don't have to clean up a sticky mess thx. Jeff.Black berries are about over and my red clover is starting to bloom so a move is coming. extractor 006.jpg extractor 008.jpg extractor 010.jpg

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It sounds like sweet news all around. That's great. :yahoo:

12. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I had a good first harvest with the early spring we had. From 2 hives, 16 frames yielded 15 quarts of honey. Then the drought hit and extremely high temperatures. I sowed 2 acres of buckwheat and the next day got 1/4 inch of rain. Then it was 31 days before another drop fell and temps above 100 degrees for most of that time. My buckwheat looks pitiful.
    As far as my second harvest, one hive has filled 5 frames and the other has 7 ready in the honey supers for me to harvest. Both hives have a 10 frame deep filled for their use that I will leave.

13. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

Wow, some of you are doing great.

14. jb63

jb63 New Member

I harvested 12 gal. from red clover, and I think I'm finished.