Honey Question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, May 25, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I harvested some honey from a cutout yesterday. This was brand new white honeycomb.

The majority of the stuff was capped but there was some on the opposing sides that was not. Can we still eat this? We would use it right away. I didn't want to give any away incase it spoils. Is spoiling my only concern?

Also, I believe this to be clover honey as that is blooming everywhere right now. It is a very light color and has the slightest "bite" to it afterwards. I really like it :wink:

IMG_2098.JPG

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

eddy,
    give the frame the 'sling' test, if anything flies out, put your frame back in the hive, that's not honey, and it will ferment.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

It's not a frame from a hive. It is from a closet wall and you know how comb packed with honey on a hot day and not in a frame is to handle :shock:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If you are going to use it "right away" and you are sure it didn't get sprayed or anything I wouldn't be too concerned.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Keep it refrigerated and eat it. No problem. If it crystallizes, you didn't eat it fast enough.

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

^^Fast enough he says...:lol:

Thanks!
    I'm going to slather some on my chicken while BBQin'

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"It's not a frame from a hive. It is from a closet wall and you know how comb packed with honey on a hot day and not in a frame is to handle"

well shooey eddy, that's twice now i missed something you said! was that your closet wall :lol:
    in any case, i'm with perry and iddee and would be 'slathering' it on anything i can grill!

8. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

No, it was a friend of my brothers. I wanted to give them the honey but wasn't sure about it going bad so I'll give them some of mine if these dang bees ever decide to cap the last 2" along the bottom!

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"I'll give them some of mine if these dang bees ever decide to cap the last 2" along the bottom!"

too funny:rotfl:!