Honey Standard of Identity

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by sqkcrk, Aug 2, 2011.

1. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Here in NY we have a piece of Legislation which our Statewide Association is trying to get passed to establish a Standard of Identity (SOI) for honey SOLD in NY State. Which, of course, would effect those who produce honey in NYS, who also wish to sell their honey here.

Do you have such Legislation in your State? Is it a good thing? How has it effected you? Are you in favor of such Legislation or against it? Why?

Have you seen the Funny Hunny on the shelves right there amongst the real honey? The Rice Syrup flavored w/ Honey and packaged in a plastic squeeze bear? Which costs less, of course. How do you feel about that? Woulkd you do something about it, if you could? Other than complain to the store manager?

We are in interesting times when more and more syrup is being fed to bees "to maintain health". Some of that syrup can't help but find its' way into our honey. How much is too much? Would one drop disqualify it as honey? No? Then how much?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

http://www.ncbeekeepers.org/news.htm

Just under the pic you will find the honey standard the NC beeks have approved and trying to get legislated. I think there are both pros and cons about it.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

If Mo. has a standard i'm not aware of it? I only feed syrup in the spring if needed and in the fall to build up stores for winter. If the bees move the excess syrup up(into honey super) in the spring (probably not much or any) the only way you would know is to have it tested. I can live with that, but for those that feed syrup(or mix honey with anything) to make honey for sale is just plain dishonest. I can see where a honey standard would be a good thing. Jack

4. darrenct83

darrenct83 New Member

I don't believe the "Funny Hunny" is labeled as real honey. I think the types of people who buy food off the shelf without even reading the label aren't the same demographic that buy fresh local honey. These are the people that eat easy mac and twinkies for lunch every day. They wouldn't know the difference between a spoonful of honey right out of the hive and a spoonful of corn syrup. I think that packaging it like real honey is deceptive, but it probably doesn't dig too deep in to your business.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

we do see some 'honey syrup'* in the dollar stores here that is clearly an attempt at tagging on to the 'brand' that is honey. in the larger picture of things it is this 'brand' that legislation is trying to preserve.

as a general rule we don't do laws here in Texas unless it favors rich oil folks. I think in Texas if honey appears on the label then some small about of honey has to be inside the container. this law of course does not always work out as designed... for example a year or so ago I spend some time in my local Krogers store where I buy my grocery and pretty throughly went thru their shelf of honey mustard*. about half had honey on the content label and about half did not. oddly enough the more expensive varieties typically contained no honey.

*I ain't no lawyer but I think technically both of these products that actually contain no honey would be ruled illegal in Texas.