Honey super advice

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Jul 9, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I have one hive that is ready for a honey super. Wish being a late starter and going through a bad drought I figured I would not get any honey this year. Still might not, who knows but the bees. My second brood box is 80% filled last week when I checked it. I ordered queen excluders but they won't be mailed the latest my Wednesday. I don't know if they can make it till then or what? Should I go ahead and add another box and wait till I get my excluders to add? They seem to be busting at the seams.:shock:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The super should go on and the bees working in it before the excluder goes on. Many times they will not go through an excluder if they have not been in that box before.

3. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

That's sounds great! Thanks Iddee!

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

crazy8days,
    as iddee said~"The super should go on and the bees working in it before the excluder goes on. Many times they will not go through an excluder if they have not been in that box before. "

i would add the super, when you get your excluder, you can place it on. if the queen happens to move up into it, the bees will take care of any brood until they are hatched out, and clean and polish the cells for honey storage. just make sure she is not in trapped in the super after the excluder is placed on.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

yep Iddee nailed it to the head :thumbsup: