Honey super

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ColinUK, Jul 21, 2018.

1. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Hi im new to beekeeping so would like some advice please. I have two colonies. Both arrived in April. One is doing amazing and has filled a deep 10 frame brood. Therefore I have installed a shallow 10 frame honey super two weeks ago. I soaked it with syrup to encourage the bees. The frames are wax foundation. I was hoping that they would be starting to build. Instead they have wrecked two frames and ignored the others. Any advice to encourage use would be appreciated. I don't use a honey excluder. We are in a heatwave and dry spell in the UK but still masses of foraging. Thanks

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

remove a lower frame with comb on it, preferably one of the outside frames. Since your deep frame is going to drop below the shallow, scoot the deep frames to one side or another, preferably NOT in the center of the brood nest, to allow a deep frame to drop from the shallow into the bottom box. put your deep frame in the top box and over the opening in frames below. Set empty shallow frame aside. They should begin to draw the top, be sure they have adequate nectar or feed syrup.

3. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

What an amazing reply. Will do tomorrow. Let you know how I get on. Many thanks

4. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Hi a week on and the bees are now using the super. Just one question. They are building burr comb on the bottom of the moved frame and forming a bee ladder. Normally I would remove this but they have filled it with pollen. They are quite pollen rich at present. Could you recommend what I should do with the burr comb. The hive has lots of eggs and grubs at all stages as well as 10 frames of honey. Thanks

5. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

usually you clean up the burr comb ..I save it in a bag in the freezer and then when I have enough I melt it in a solar wax melter that I built and make small blocks of bees wax that can be used for anything,,the wax is worth more than the honey..

6. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Thanks for the advice. One of those questions that I knew what I should do but as a newbie wanted some confirmation. Thanks again.

7. roadkillbobb

I get burr cone with brood in it and sometimes I will let it be so they can hatch...but anything with just honey or pollen I clean up and take away..I made the mistake once and put the honey soaked comb on a table by the hive thinking it would be a treat to the hive only to bring robber bees in and kill off the smaller hive, learned my lesson on that, dont leave anything outside the hive that would bring robber bees around..

8. Gypsi

you could also pop the foundation out of one of your medium frames and use rubber bands to mount the burr comb in it. They will connect it to the frame. You can put the deep frame back in the lower box at the same time.

9. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

The advice has gone too well. Now I have brood in the super. Not a problem as I don't intend to harvest more this season. They also have plenty of stores. Happy days. However next season I want to add another super. Do I add as a middle or a top. The current construction is deep brood then a shallow super. My thinking is add it in the middle to encourage the bees. Any advice
    Thanks

10. roadkillbobb

I put 2 deeps then the honey supers, as im not doing this for commercial honey production I rather see a healthy queen with brood everywhere than nowhere...I am getting burr comb on the bottom of some of the honey frames but no brood on the frame itself, so I just scrapped it off and put it ontop of the deep frames and the bees can do with it as they want...my friend has bees and has 4 or 5 honey supers stacked filled with capped honey and no brood in them, so I guess eventually the queen will stay in the lower boxes if you go high enough..

ColinUK likes this.
  11. Gypsi

If you are in the UK, I think Bob will be closer to your climate Colin. In Texas we do one deep, one medium to go through the winter, but we don't get that cold for that long, and bees can manage with a smaller cluster. A really small cluster in the north has no chance.

ColinUK likes this.