honey verieties

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by me2pl, Sep 5, 2011.

1. me2pl

me2pl New Member

what are the advantages/disadvantages to cut comb honey? I want to know how you keep your honey, as well as your opinions on the subject

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Cut comb honey will sell for more, followed by chunk honey, and lastly, extracted honey.
    The disadvantage to the beekeeper is that, when you sell off your drawn comb, it's almost like eating the seed corn for next years crop.
    If all the bees have to start with is foundation-they will spend time, energy, and groceries to draw out comb before they can start producing any honey. Drawn out comb is gold to a beekeeper.
    I'm considering, next spring, trying out a top bar hive. Right now I have 2 colonies in Langs, and will be ordering 3 packages for next spring-to be put in Langs. I'm gonna be setting out swarm traps-and am thinking about trying out a TBH-with the first swarm, to get cut-comb.

3. me2pl

me2pl New Member

another thing is that you have to buy a new foundation every year, adding to the price

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

this has been a disaster year here so unlike past years I have done none of the above this year.

in past years I have done both extracted and chunk honey. I sell the chunk honey for a bit more and it seems to be especially popular in the hispanic community. I think as much as anything else it represent authenticity to the hispanic folks.

to market chunk honey requires no extractor but for me does require a freezer. I utilize old thin top bar shallow frames and thin foundation for the chunk honey so the added cost is very small. I do have to toss/cull some frames that never quite get finished.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

heres a little trick that will save you time and money. when cutting the cut comb out of the frame leave 2 to 3 rows of cells on the top bar. They will then use that for a guide next year instead of foundation.

6. me2pl

me2pl New Member

interesting ideas, thanks you guys.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

excellent idea riverrat. hopefully when the season changes I may be able to try that.

8. milapostol

milapostol New Member

riverrat, ditto on the tip. Never thought of that. I love all the tips and education I've learned here.