Honey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazy8days, Feb 29, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

How much honey does a beekeeper and his/her family go through in a season?

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Just for plain eatin 3-4 qts or about 10 lbs, but when you add in what the wife uses for bakeing its about 6-8 qts or about 20 lbs give or take. Jim

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

When I first started with bees (1972) my main desire was honey production. Over the years, that desire has shifted to raising the bees for the challenge and activities involved. Today my big pleasure is giving away honey to family and friends and my personal usage declines (no, thank God, I don't have problems with blood sugar levels). Presently I doubt if I eat even 1/2 kg of honey in a year, but my family--AH, that's a different story. Then there's the honey I use to make mead and to sweeten my home-made wine. That could easily use anywhere from 15-20 kg (33-44 lbs) or more. Does that count? And what about the propolis I chew on when I get a sore throat?
    I just love bee-keeping.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

efmesch said "I just love beekeeping"

;) :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
    That is quite apparent my friend!

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

at this household we go by the current marketing line of BlueBell*(ice cream).... 'we eat all we can and we sell the rest'.

*BlueBell's head quarters is in Brenham Texas which is where our bee club is located. BlueBell is great at helping support our club in that they issue us gift certificates for speakers and donating ice cream for our bee school. They are also paying for the total remodeling of the baseball field at Texas A&M which will shortly be renamed BlueBell Field.

as to your question... I would guess for two people about 1 quart per month. as Bsweet somewhat suggest above if you are selling honey finding folks that use it in cooking is a much better market that those folks that just add it to their tea or coffee.

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

I have been quite amazed how much we actually did use this first year, probably close to gallon and half...... Kids actually asked for it in tea and on bread now.

I use it on oatmeal, in red bush tea ( Rooibos) , on pancakes, have kept a bunch for mead , but been to busy / lazy to get it made. Fora sore throat - honey and lemon plus a splash....:)

Once you have it, you might surprise yourself how much you can / do use.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Since I am the only one in the house who likes honey (and yes I made all of them taste it), about two quarts a year. Sad part of it is I like honey the best that is not even from my own hives!! Sourwood from the mountains which another keep down the road goes after every year and now Crackerbee has me hooked on orange blossom that he brought to me.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

We use alot of honey,i keep back two 5 gal.(120 lbs.) buckets for my wife and i, daughter, son, and five grandchildern. I never put sugar on anything, only honey, and my wife cooks many things with honey. Jack

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Now here's a guy with the right ideas!!!!

Shoot, you know what got me in to honey bees....the amount of honey me and the wife were eating!!!! We LOVE IT!!!!! ;) I just ran into a speed bump, though. The ol' physical showed my cholesterol was a "tad" high (so what if I like saugage and eggs and cheese and steaks with nice marbling in them, and....uh, uh,...dang I'm getting hungry!!!). Anyhow, I gotta start watching all the uglies...trans fats, hydrogenated anythings, blah, blah, blah. I simply LOVE peanut butter and honey sandwiches...I just looked and jiffy has 0mg of cholesterol...YIPPIEE!!!!...but, uh, "fully hydrogenated vegetable oil" *is* included. :( Ah well, straight honey sandwiches it will be!!! ;)

Ed

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Intheswamp, just ask yourself. ""Do I want to live a few happy years or many miserable ones?"" Then eat whatever you want.

In 1974, the doc gave me a list of about 20 things I could eat. He said, "for as long as you want to live".

I looked it over, handed it back to him, and said "I don't", and walked out.

11. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

I understand where you're coming from Iddee, but we've all got our priorities, eh? ;)

Ed

12. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

That is what they make Lipitor for! :lol: Must be taken with food-preferably bacon, eggs w/cheese, grits and a biscuit to sop it all up with....now I'm getting hungry. :mrgreen:

13. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I'm gonna die a good bad example, why donate a body to a medical school if its in perfect shape????? Not that I have made that donation

There are alot more of us overweight unhealthy people out here than the healthy folks, we must be doing something right.

The doctor that said jogging was good for your body and heart, DIED due to heart problems

If the lord wanted man to be vegetarian he would not have given us fire.

And remember doctors don't get rich off of healthy people so maybe their advice isn't in our best interest.
    :D :D :D

14. Omie

Omie New Member

I don't do much cooking with honey, but most days I like a giant afternoon cup of green or Japanese tea with honey. Lots of honey- 2 overloaded tablespoons in my really big tea cup. So good! So at that rate the honey does tend to add up to quite a bit.

15. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I had some gunpowder green tea last night with a spoonful of honey. Yum,yum!