Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Can neonicotinoids really be that bad?

Really now, how can insecticides, known to be toxic in the tinniest of trace amounts, and that do their work by permeating every part of the growing plant, including guttation water, nectar, and pollen - ever be harmful to honey bees? Of course, not considering that they will likely also be picked up by every other species of plant in the vicinity of the target crop.

If it were true that these insecticides; neonicotinoids, were so insidious, how could the highly educated and very wise men and women running the appropriate regulatory agencies ever approve their release into our environment? And, if the present research reports were true, how could these same people whom we trust with our very lives and the protection of our environment (and I might add, their own lives and environment), allow neonicotinoids to continue being used, as they still are?

Personally, I don't really appreciate that I'm probably ingesting some of these new synthetic neurotoxins with my every bite of food, but that's just me. After all aren't these neonicotinoids very low in toxicity to mammals? I'm sure that there are many toxins throughout our environment, which we are regularly exposed to that also have low toxicity, otherwise wouldn't we all be dead, already? And, of course, no one really gives much consideration to how these new toxins will interact with various organisms, the environment, or the plethora of previously existing chemical compounds, some of which are already known to be toxic, that already exist in the environment. The macabre game of "Russian Roulette" comes readily to mind. I'm glad I've already put fifty-five years behind me, and hope I get the chance to keep putting more years there too.
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top