Honeybee Democracy

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Apr 10, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Did a search to see if this has been posted before and nothing came up.
    The folks that bought our house last fall (Chuck and Nancy) are real nice people from Indiana. I bumped into them the other day and they asked me to stop by and pick something up they had bought for me. When I got there they gave me a hard cover copy of Honeybee Democracy by Thomas Seeley. I've just started reading it and what a great book! Only 50 pages in and I have already learned a bunch of things about which I had no idea. Absolutely fascinating stuff some of it.
    I have taken Chuck out to my hives and even had him suit up and help me put pollen patties on. He seems to have an interest in bees and sends me stuff via email on things he finds on the net. He doesn't want to actually get any bees but has expressed an interest in going out again when we can go through the hives more thoroughly, once it warms up.
    If you are looking for a good read (I realize that winter is over and things are getting busy) try and find a copy of this book, pretty amazing. It runs contrary in many ways to the belief that the queen and her pheremones rule the roost.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I purchased a copy at the North American Bee Keeping conference for my wife. Seeley and her share not only the same professional interest (ethology) but also some connection via their academic lineage. My wife found the book fascinating. Several folks suggested to me that the back part of the book was a bit technical and/or deep.

IMHO>>>> almost by definition bioliogical systems, such as the organization of a bee hive, are much more complex that most of us (I am referring to myself here) are capable of really understanding. folks that do what mr seally does often times simplify stuff just to make it understandable for a broader audience than just profession ethologist... a lot of accuracy is lost in the translation.

My wife pretty much read the book cover to cover while we were in Galveston.

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Upon reading the article about Thomas Seeley in the American Bee Journal and his new book, Honeybee Democracy, my husband bought me a copy for Christmas. I haven't gotten very far into it yet.(I know it's been 4 months :oops: ) Life's demands don't allow me much time for sitting down with a book.
    This book mentioned about our last bee club meeting. It was suggested reading by our guest speaker on the subject of swarming.

4. Tia

Tia New Member

I am absolutely in love with Dr. Seeley! He taught me so much! I couldn't put the book down and my brain was busting with new information. I wish I could afford to buy his other two books, but they're out of my price range. I am excited, though, that he's going to be at the spring 2012 meeting of the NCSBA. I will be there with bells on!

5. milapostol

milapostol New Member