Honeybee hives and lawn treatments

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by paul, Apr 12, 2011.

1. paul

paul New Member

Hello:
    Each year we have a lawn care company come out and lay down a weed control spray treatment. We have added the hives (May, 2010) since the last treatment and the company will be out in April. I would like to know how close we should tell the lawn care company to get to the hives. They are located very close to where the company would be spraying and we do not want to injure the bees in any way.
    I thank you very much.

Paul Van Kavelaar
    Indianapolis

2. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

herbacides most generally wil not harm a hive especially if there is nothin to forage on in the area being sprayed. I would let the company know they hive is there and not to spray it directly on it and they should be fine.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If you feel that it is necessary, ask them if they can come just before dusk or on an overcast or colder day when the bees may not be out.
    Remember, you have bees now, dandelions are a great pollen source. :mrgreen:

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

You may want to call them and ask what is in the stuff they're spraying, and if it will harm insects...and which ones. There's probably someone in the office who can tell you what the consequences are, if any.

Walt

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I agree with Walt, ask them to fax you a MSDS sheet for the product they are spraying.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I agree with all above, but was wondering why you want to destroy the forage the bees work for pollen and nectar :confused: . Like i tell my wife, i'm not going to clean the fence rolls this year, because there are alot of things the bees can make honey out of in there. :mrgreen: Jack

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Jack

Curious, just what is a "fence roll"? :confused:

9. paul

paul New Member

Thank you all for the responses. I will hddle up with the wife tonight and go over what you all say.
    Thanks again.

P.S. Has anyone ever built a a long (about 6' high, 8' long) trellis for grapes? Eileen is putting grapes along the back 40 this weekend. Do bees make use of grape vines?? Just curious.

Paul

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Never built a trellis for grapes but I am pretty sure that bees do not do grapes. I believe they are wind pollinated.

11. Zulu

Zulu Member

Grapes and olives don't need pollinators

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Perrybee, a fence roll or row?(sp) is just a line fence to keep livestock in (like a steel post and barbwire fence). An old beekeeper told me one time, that when looking for a place to put your bees, look for a farm with unkept fence rows(sp?) that's where they will make more honey. :thumbsup: Jack

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Despite what you may have seen from my swarm collecting practices... or my frame-dropping shenanigans... bees don't usually visit grass because there is nothing in it for them... so why try to replace the things they do benefit from (weeds) with the thing they get no benefit from (grass)?

I hate even getting the fliers for lawn treatments.