Honeybees 'entomb' hives

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by m.s., Apr 11, 2011.

1. m.s.

m.s. New Member

Honeybees 'entomb' hives to protect against pesticides, say scientists

By sealing up cells full of contaminated pollen, bees appear to be attempting to protect the rest of the hive, full story at guardian.co.uk/environment

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I just read information I received from our Provincial Bee Health Adsvisor linked to the article you are referring to m.s.

Jeffrey Pettis is the man being quoted and I was about to post it as well but you beat me to it. While the bees appear to be "entombing" the pollen in an effort to seal it off, the end result is that the behaviour in unsuccesful.
    "The presence of entombing is the biggest single predictor of colony loss". It's a defence mechanism that has failed".
    Interesting read.

3. m.s.

m.s. New Member

maybe (probably) next time

Thank you much for the micro version, interesting read indeed.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The article that I have is slightly different than the one you have posted m.s. but it has the same conclusions. The one I have also dabbles into Pettis' thoughts on neonicitinoids and their effects on bees.
    "Pettis' own research, which he announced will be published in a peer-reviewed
    journal as soon as next month, found that neonicotinoids can kill bees at doses "below the level
    of detection." And virtually the entire U.S. corn crop, which covers about 25 percent of all
    cropland in the country, is treated with them."
    This part may be old news and in the article Pettis seems reluctant to outright blame neonics.
    The "entombing" stuff is fascinating though!

m.s. - you're right on top of this stuff, keep us posted!

5. m.s.

m.s. New Member

Is it possible to share your source(s)? On top of it? yeah right

Another article on a study at extensions.org/bee-health

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Another interesting read m.s.
    The idea that chemical residues in the hive can shorten the lifespan of a forager from 8 days to 4 is frightening! As the article suggests the cascade effect on the entire population of the colony would be enormous!
    I do not know the origin of the Pettis article I received as it came in a PDF format from our Provincial Advisor.

7. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

Very interesting reading... Thanks for posting the link...We have to learn as well as work at our avocation.
    LtlWilli