Honeybound this year for a 1st year hive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Beth Callaway, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Beth Callaway

Beth Callaway New Member

I am new to beekeeping this year. I bought a nuc in May and things have been going great!
    A week ago I did an inspection to the hive and found that both the bottom and top deeps are almost entirely full. The new frames that I added about a month ago to the top deep are full of capped honey (aka- 2 deeps of 10 frames each are 95% full). Yay!

However, I am worried about overcrowding and swarming.... so I added a honey super and queen excluder with brand new medium frames a week ago. This may not be enough though since the other deeps are full. I'll be out of town for the next week and don't want to chance the swarming, so today over my lunch hour I went home and removed a fully capped honey frame from the outside of the second (top) deep and replaced it with a new, empty foundation frame. I froze the frame with the capped honey just in case. Was this ok to do?

Based on everything I've read I think I was supposed to remove the capped honey from the bottom brood box not the top deep. But is it ok to just replace honey on the second, top deep instead or should I be absolutely sure and go into the brood box instead? 2) If no to the first question, will it be ok as-is until I can get back in and do a more thorough frame replacement/check next week?

Other than this, it seems like they're doing great enough I might even be able to harvest honey this year which is not what I was counting on. I just want them to have enough for winter! I live in Cheyenne, WY and was thinking they'd have a rough first yea but so far the forage is great and they've obviously been doing well.

Thanks!

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

you can take some honey and just feed them fondant in the winter if you think their stores are not sufficient.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Dont' take too much though, pretty cold there but if you have a warm snap in winter they chew through stores fast. I have never harvested from the bottom box, always the 2nd deep on a dual deep, or medium super, whatever is on top. And I don't use queen excluders. The queen rarely goes to the very top box except in winter, and in winter if she can't get there she will die