hop guard so why not use hops

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by reidi_tim, Mar 18, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

If I have read correctly ( or if I haven't please correct me ) hop guard use the alpha-acid and beta-acid extracted from hops. So would/could you get the same results by putting some hop buds in the hive? and or planting some hops near the hives? :???: I ask because we are having an early spring and if it would/could be beneficial this is the time to transplant some hop rhizomes from my back yard down the farm where our bees will be. Or am I trying to over simplicate a mite treatment without spending any money. There are times things make sense to me and wife just tells me I've lost my mind:twisted:

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I assume that hop guard has a more concentrated dose of hops and is therefore effective. BUT, that doesn't mean that straight hops wouldn't work. There is one "easy" way for you to find out---try it.
    We'll all be interested in the report of your results.

3. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

No, you will not get the same results. As efmesch noted, it may help (or not), but how much or how little difference it makes would be difficult to measure.

The concentration is the key. The active ingredients in HopGuard are highly concentrated. Similarly, I've heard people ask if they couldn't just sprinkle thyme on their hives since ApiGuard's active ingredient is thymol, but again, it's super-concentrated, not the stuff grown in herb gardens. More recently I had a beekeeper tell me that Lemon Pledge doesn't work nearly as well as lemon grass essential oil.

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

As an experimental hop farmer, I can tell you ( and confirmed by commercial growers) bees don't seem to work hops despite the pollens.

From what I can tell Hop Guard is From Beta acids , and I have been studying how to extract oils .....

My boy scout hives will be in the hops yard this year , so I will have first hand info this season.

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Unless you're polishing furniture! :razz:

6. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Not what I was wanting to hears but thanks anyway, I will toss some hops into 1 of the two hives so I can have something to measure by. On a side note I finished my 2 hives and all the frames and took them home from work, I was amazed by the fact that when I was taking them out of the truck and stacking them in the driveway and bees where flying around and checking out the frames. Other then when I went to talk with my mentor I have never seen so many bees 100 ish.

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

It's gotta work. I crack open a beer occasionally and have never seen a mite on me.