Hope I haven't lost my rights here. :)

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by sqkcrk, Mar 26, 2011.

1. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

It's been so long since I posted that tec put out an APB on me.

I've been busy, here in SC, working on my NY bees that winter in SC. So far, the spring has been good, after the coldest winter in the memory of locals here. Here is Conway, SC, just inland from Myrtle Beach.

I was down here, from home in NY, back in mid-Feb., to check the hives and slap ona pollen patty. Going thru the colonies, I found the lowest "winter kill" that I have had in the last 5 or 6 years, 15% dead.

Of the ones that were still alive, there were enuf strong ones that I was able to put almost all of the deeps up on another colony. The rest varied, of course. But almost all were strong enuf to reverse supers to allow more room for growth and to avoid swarming, in case of a heavy nectar flow. The ones I threw an extra deep on had bees from top to bottom.

Since getting down here about two weeks ago, I have been able to get thru all the colonies, making splits to replace the dead outs and making 100 nucs for sale and use. My queens are from queen cells that I got from a friend, who is near Manning, SC.

Chuck Kutik has Lynn Barton, formerly of Kona Queens, raising cells and queens to use and sell. I got 100 cells yesterday and will finish using them today.

The nectar and pollen have been coming in here in a steady trickle for over three weeks. No heavy flow yet. Which is fine for me. I don't really want to see them hanging in the trees. No swarm cells yet.

What else can I report?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Glad to see you back, and even happier to hear a good spring report. Maybe with a start like that we can even get some honey this year.

3. rast

rast New Member

I'm glad to see you show up here too.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Was wondering where you had been!

Glad to know your bees pulled through the winter pretty good.

5. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Thanks Guys. Where there are bees there is always hope for a good year and crop of honey. Actually, if I had a place to extract, I could probably rob some from them right now.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

howdy Mark. glad to see your update. sounds like you are having a particularly good later winter/early spring. if you have any extra water send some this way.

I am wondering if perhaps we (meaning beekeepers collectively) may have turned the corner in regards to varroa?

your bro...
    tecumseh

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Well, it would be nice to think so, but I think it may be a little premature to all of a sudden go totally varroa treatment free. Tho it would be nice to see that day coming in the future.

As was noted on another forum, what we have lost w/ the varroa caused die offs is genetically diverse lines of bees. I forget the original number, but 39 appears to be where we are now. A pretty narrow selection group. imo.

I bet, what w/ this rainy period, we will be getting into our swarm season here. The colonies have brought in nectar every day since I have been here, at a steady trickle. Pollen too. so there stores of those food items are good. Now the queen will fill every space she can w/ eggs and we're off to the races. The race against swarming. I should have brought more equipment.

At least it isn't below freezing here, like it is up home.