Hope the new boxes get here

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Wandering 1 of the yards today just as its getting dark, things are getting a bit crowded and my new boxes are still a week out, mann lakes is busy and getting my gear out soon as they can lol, think Im gonna have a swarm or 2 on my hands before I can give them more room, also picked up the 2 hives from the blueberry farm over the weekend and took them and 4 others to the new yard on the 5 acres. the 2 hives from the farm are both double deeps and doing well, also had a new queen born today in the last nuc that I have been waiting on, hope you all had a good weekend as well.

Attached Files:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you might wish to consider leveling the brood from the strong to the weak and thus add some population to the weak but more importantly some empty space to the strong.

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

wish I could but even my 1 nuc I have had to put a nuc ontop of it to give them another 5 frames, all my boxes are full, thats why I ordered 10 more boxes but I didnt think it would take weeks to get them, only thing I can do at this point is pull a few frames from each hive and make queen breeding nucs to reduce the pop in the heavy hives and hope I dont get swarms before they get delivered.:beg:

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Drive up I-75 and pick up all the boxes you want the same day.

Dadant & Sons Inc
    Manager: Jerry Latner
    P. O. Box 888
    High Springs, FL 32655-0888
    Physical Address
    17074 Northwest 188th St
    High Springs, FL 32643
    Toll Free Order Number: 1-877-832-3268
    Phone: 386-454-0237
    Fax: 386-454-0240
    Hours – Monday – Friday
    Eastern Standard Time
    8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
    Get Directions Here

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Mann lakes is much cheaper good quality and free shipping, not to mention the order is all ready in so.... lol and thats a heck of a ride from Sarasota to them thats got to be $75 or better in gas

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

75.00 gas would be paid for with one swarm. Besides, just think about that beautiful 10 hour trip in the nice, warm Florida sun. :rolling:

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Ok, I took 2 frames of capped brood 1 frame of new larva and 2 of food from the most crowded hive today and made up a nuc gonna do another 1 each day of the 6 most packed hives. the 1 I did today I dont think its gonna slow it down much, thats alot of brood in those 2 deeps, least Ill get more hives out this mess, live and learn, if ya need 10 boxes order 30:lol:

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Zookeep said:

"If you need 10 boxes order 30"

Them's smart words right there! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

............and order early!!

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Moved onto the 2nd hive today and pulled the same frames out as the 1st, I may do 2 more on Wednesday then hold off for the gear to arrive, it was shipped on Monday, it was a good time to do some splits off my best hives anyways now with 3 yards to spread them out on.

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

now have 5 cells in the 1st nuc split. Ill check the other nuc in a few days and see what they are up to