Hope the word keeps getting out

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Yankee11, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I hope the word gets out that the most influential predator of all species is out of control and is expropriating or destroying the habitat and resources of all others. To be able to exist on a sustainable basis with others would require a considerable reduction of its numbers so its food could be produced without deliberately harming others or being dependent on dwindling petrochemical imputs.

The so called green revolution of petro chemical agriculture has resulted in raising many fold (unsustainably) the food production per acre of land; population has increased proportionately (in lockstep unsustainability) The various individual compounds or processes involved in this ag system is a list of symptoms of the underlying problem. Banning one and substituting another is perhaps effectively little more than a feel good reaction: how many have the guts to suggest that we do something that actually addresses the fundamental problem that gives birth to all the others we are wringing our hands over.

2. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Take a close look at the these huge fields of mono crops. Corn, soybeans whatever it is. Look at the ground. There is nothing there. No weeds, insects- nothing.
    We plant a genetically modified seed, pesticides injected right inside the plant. Then spray the ground to kill everything. Then have to apply a bunch of chemicals to get it to grow.

Nuts.

3. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Yes, I dont think it is sustainable, but to back away now from the temporary yields it provides, would jack the price of major food commodities to the point that you would be having Arab Springs all over the world. We have gotten ourselves into a desperate situation with our cleverness and lack of wisdom. What would you suggest to address the main issue? Collectively we are on a slippery slope.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

All I can say, is my gut is telling me that it's going to fix itself, and it's not going to be pretty. There is way to many people depending on someone else
    instead of being self reliant. Crop failures, modified seeds, pollination failures, shipping failures, price of chemicals to grow the crops etc, etc. Then throw in all
    the other nonsense going on and it seems like we are sitting on a powder keg.

Maybe my gut is wrong, but I have been listening to it for the last 4 years or so. As a result, I have been sleeping much better. I don't consider myself a prepper,
    just trying live life like my grandparents did. Growing my own, canning my own and saving my own heirloom seeds.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

We have a bill in the house now to be voted on to help save the bees, that probably won't go any where. The companies that produce modified seeds have to much money, and can show our politicians that they can produce crops without bees. Like corn for one, that has become a big money making crop, i doubt very few politicians know or care that corn is wind pollinated, and bees only work the tossels for a very poor pollen. Follow the money and we can see why the bees are dying. Jack

6. Crofter

Crofter New Member

If the bees have to suffer some losses to enable the big commodity items, that will be how it happens. Certainly there will be tradeoffs economically and politically. Keeping bees has become more difficult and certainly less rewarding when the cost of treatment and bee replacement is considered but it is not in imminent danger of collapsing, so the big dollars are not there yet to nail down causes and fund workarounds.

I think it is a fair assumption that most forms of social assistance will see less funding and basic food will become relatively more expensive. Grow locally what produces best and expect to work harder physically. Bees for pollination seem crucial but they are an imported species. Keeping bees for the honey is an expensive way of getting a sweetener. I just totted up what I have spent in the last three years and dont want to think about it. I am enjoying myself and I know we all have emotional attachment to them but in the big picture the powers that be have bigger fish to fry.

General decay of infrastructure, unfunded social assistance obligations, spiraling sovereign debt, unemployment, military, etc. Immediate problems and someone is nattering about something in the future?

Sad but So!

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Frank! :lol:
    half glass.jpg

8. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Yah Perry, the first half is good to blow your whistle but only the other half will wet your whistle!

God grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change;
    Courage to change the things I can;
    And wisdom to know the difference.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

As my wife reminds me (in regards to dealings with my 11 year old son) pick your battles! :thumbsup: :lol:
    And at this point (before he gets any bigger) make sure you can win! :wink: