Hosting State Assoc. Picnic

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hobie, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

This year the Northwestern PA Beekeer's Assoc. is hosting the PA State Beekeepers Assoc. picnic and holding it here in Erie. There has been a bit of "discussion" in the ranks, and I was hoping I could get some input from other groups that have hosted (or attended) a State Assoc. picnic in the past.

The biggest issue here is money. Some of the members want to stick with basic hotdogs. Granted, the local Smith's hotdogs are pretty awesome. But some want to have a little more variety, like hamburgs or maybe grilled sausage, since it is a special event. What have other groups provided?

The second issue is souvenirs. There was a plan to make key fobs and refrigerator magnets with a bee theme to pass out to all attendees. Is the distribution of souvenirs typical at these picnics? Is it "expected"? The nay-sayers in the group say it is a waste of money since no one wants a souvenir anyway.

Any other comments and opinions about State picnics hosted or attended are welcome. If there is a general trend, I would like to provide the input at out next meeting this coming Sat. 2/13.

Thanks for all help.

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

When is the event scheduled?

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Hobie,

First, your group had two years to prepare. Money should not be an object. For any particular group, this may be a once in a 25 year thing. So rallying the troops, doing fund raising, asking for donations, and anything else for you to get this taken care of is...your groups responsibility. That is part of hosting the state picnic.....taking on the work, cost, etc.

With that said, Your group will be reimbursed about 300 dollars for expenses. That is what is customary from the past.

You also should be in contact with bee supply and industry related companies asking for donations. And your membership should pitch in with donated bee and non-bee donations. An auction is always customary, with half going to the queen fund (not mandatory), and the other half going to help cover your expenses. Usually 200-300 dollars are raised.

So you will have a check from the state, and money from the auction, and your members donations. Whatever the balance is, and much of that will be determined by your members efforts, will come out of your groups general fund. That is the cost of stepping forward, allowing your group to showcase their association, and make it a day your club will remember for years to come.

No souvenirs are required or traditional. I agree, unless your handing out hive tools, they are a waste.

The food last year at Lancaster county, included, burgers, hotdogs, pulled pork sandwiches, and chicken. They also supplied corn on the cob and what only could be described as a very good "spread". Yes, attendees should bring a covered dish, but not knowing what will be coming, it is best to make sure you cover the basics, and the rest just is the stuff that makes it special.

As an officer of the state association, please contact me directly if you have any questions that I might be of assistance.

Your group still has plenty of time. But that will fly by quick. Charlie should of presented this to the group long ago and had the groups blessing. Your group was slated in November 2008 for the 2010 summer picnic. Now it is time for your members to rise to the occasion.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Thanks, Bjorn, that is good information. I need to check again to see exactly what has been done. I have not been involved with this, but kind of got dragged into the periphery a few days ago when another beekeeper, who has been involved, called me and vented for about 45 minutes about the latest disagreements. She was the one looking into souvenirs. I just wanted to help, but I guess I posted this without adequate information.

I know there have been fund raisers, but I do not know the status of the treasury.

I will go back and belatedly do my homework.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hobie, we have a treasury report immediately after the reading of the minutes from the last meeting monthly. Maybe you should incorporate that into your monthly meeting. Then every one would be able to keep up with the status of the treasury, and also see where their fund raising efforts were going.

PS. Keeps the treasurer honest, as a side bonus.......

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

It's my fault, there. I have not attended a meeting in a while, due to weather and my basic winter hibernation mode.

I hope my posting this thread does not show my local association in a bad light, just because I wrote it without sufficient knowledge or background. The association is well-run, it's just that This Member has not been paying attention.

Perhaps this thread should be removed..?

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

17 lashes with a wet noodle... Shame on you, girl. Get out and get busy... :eek: :D