Hot box of bees...whew!!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Jul 16, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Checked my hive for the first time in 2 weeks and they did not like it! No action in the honey super yet. I believe right now they are queenless as the hive roared when I gave them the smoke. I only got through about 5 frames in the upper deep and found a new capped queen cell. The bees were in my face and I took about 15 stings to the hands and arms so I closed it up and will wait a week or so before going in again. They have a lot of stores and the colony appears to be thriving but I guess they felt like they needed a new queen, is this normal? The old queen seemed like a good one but maybe something happened to her. I used to brag to my friends how sweet and docile my bees were...wow...not anymore! This was like an all out attack! We are in a bit of a dearth so I suspect that and being queenless has them all riled up. Its hard to type with my swollen fingers. I guess now I am a beekeeper! :eek: :D

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

:goodpost:
    excellent lesson above for any new bee keeper...

since you never know when you open any particular hive when that hive might be queenless, it is ALWAYS good practice to light your smoker and put on your protective gear. DO NOT assume that the hive that was sweet as your mama last week will be just as sweet today.

dearth and/or queenlessness are prime reasons for a hive to be extremely defensive.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Not to be selfish, but there's a lesson I am glad to have learned vicariously! Thanks for sharing.

4. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I popped the lid the other nite to see if there was any work being done in the honey super and a few mad bees came after me as well. I just saw the queen 2 weeks ago and she looked great and I even saw her laying, now I have a new queen cell so either something happened to my old queen or they are going to kick her butt out and replace her. It sure is hard getting the hive back together with a veil full of bees and getting stung so many times. Full riot gear for my next visit! :lol: :shock:

5. jb63

jb63 New Member

I have one that the skunks have been after and they tagged me 15+ times,{thought it would fine in a t-shirt and vale}They got moved down the road and 4ft up on a truck bed to eliminate skunkaging.They are great little builders but if they don't change their tune I see nucs in their future.

6. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

I hear ya on that one...they get real pissy after a couple hours of rain too...at least mine do...i have a hard time keepen my nose to myself an every weekend i pop in on em (not all but 1 out of the five....rotation keeps them an me happy) but after a good rain for a few days....they get bee-a-pause an act like my X wife....nasty mean....got me thru my goves 5 times....ive left em all alone this week...their doing ok so no need to bee a pain or in it.