Hot hive 100% better - thanks Tecumseh.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

It's been a good day. The hot hive that I added the robber screen to is now 100% better. No more getting chased, not even curious bees. Thanks for the idea Tecumseh.

2. Little Man

Little Man New Member

I don't know what a robber screen is.So could someone please post a picture so I can know what one is.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

hey tec isnt a robber screen that thick glass and acrylic window between you and the convienece store clerk :yahoo:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I see Riverrat's humor has returned. Even I laughed at that one.... thanks.

as I have often done... do give some applause to Iddee who's comments long ago created my interest in the topic.

for me three scraps of wood and a bit of 1/8 inch hardware wire and some small nails and staples is the material list for a robber screen.

glad it worked for ya' SgtMaj.

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Here's a link to a pic of one.

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/RobberScreenOutside.JPG

I just used the little bit of cutoff wood from when I trim the 1" x 6' x 8" boards down to 1" x 6' x 6 & 5/8ths" then some 1/8ths inch hardware cloth which I now have a lot of thanks to buying a full roll (110' x 5') just to get some for SBB's.

I'm really just amazed at how well this worked to cool them off. I got into them today and nary a one came after me at all even with the top off and me pulling out a frame of brood. Amazing, simply amazing. Thanks again tecumseh. I will never again go without robber screens on the hives that are next to my front door.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

glad it worked out for ya' SgtMaj. sometimes small things can make a difference.