Hot Hive!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DonMcJr, Jul 31, 2013.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Man one of my 4 Hives is MEAN! It is my best Honey Producer though...

Today I went through the whole hive and at ANY even small sudden movement I had 30+ Bees right in my face...Even smoked them!

There were so many Bees when I pulled out the frames loaded in bees the swarm came to my face again!

They have 3 medium Supers on now though and the 3rd is 1/2 capped so I guess I can deal with it...:roll:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Well smoke'em some more and smoke them before and then smoke'em until they choke.

Conditions can directly effect disposition of a hive and I have also found over the years that if what you doing doesn't require you to remove individual frames of brood the bees are much less hostile. With a fume board I can remove honey with little problem but if I make the mistake of moving one frame of brood all bets are off as to 'the girls' reaction.

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Your flow has probably ended. I can tell that as soon as the flow ends my bees that used to be able to worked in shorts and t-shirt require jeans, jacket, and gloves.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

getting to be that time of year. Always liked a hot hives honey production.

5. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I have 2.5 acres of Clover and there are clover flowers everywhere!

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

7. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well it's not hot...it rained for a few days and been cooler than normal the last 2 weeks...hopefully that's why they are mad...

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

dang them girls they are unhappy when it is too hot and unhappy when it is too cold. there is just no satisfying them :wink:.

9. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Found this on Requeening a Hot Hive...I don't think I have enough time left this year to try it...

[video=youtube_share;DmmtjFgdqz8]http://youtu.be/DmmtjFgdqz8[/video]

10. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I too have a hot hive, and I took Tec's advice about using more smoke. I had read not to use excessive smoke and less smoke would lessen the stress on the bees during an inspection. On my hot hive, I smoke them and wait a bit and then smoke them again, and when I hear them hive rev up the noise I quit what I am doing and smoke them again. Wait until they're calm and proceed. To me this hive is, hear noise-add smoke over and over. But, by using lots of smoke I don't have a hundred of them on my veil. Like your hot hive, this is my best colony.\

The excess smoke may cause more stress on the bees, but it is much easier on me. More smoke and more patience!