Hot Hive

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Fuzzystuff, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I have a question to the experts. I have had a hive that has always been a little aggressive but manageable. I check them 2 weeks ago and noticed they were more aggressive then normal and also notices that the brood that had emerged had not been replaced. I decided to give them 2 weeks alone time to settle down. I check again on them today and they swarmed on me and I could not see through my veil within 5 mins. I got all the way thought the hive and could not find any brood, but did find capped honey in the brood area. I am guessing queenless. Any thoughts?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

When it gets hot and a dearth comes on the queens will slow down laying. I have had them all but stop laying in the hot weather. A hive can be more agressive the larger it gets due to there being increased numbers of bees to deal with. May just be the breed of the bee russians tend to get a little more agressive when they superscede the queen. Our honey flow is about over so when a dearth is on they can also get more agressive. Then if there is a skunk bothering them at night it can make them agressive. If you got scratch marks on the front of the hive and skunk droppings with bees mixed in with them in front of the hive. Is a tale tell sign of skunks. Being queenless can also get them agressive. I guess what Im saying is there is several things that can make the hive hot. I would first try to open up the brood area with a frame or 2 of drawn comb. I would put a frame of eggs in the hive to see if they make a queen cell. If they dont and the hive is to much to handle you can buy a queen and pinch the head on the old one. That will settle them down in a few weeks. You didnt say if you had supers on or not if they run out of room to store nectar. Sometimes they will back fill the brood nest making the hive honey bound leaving the queen no where to lay. Which would make it appear queenless I have ran some hot hives. They generally make more honey. If you dont mind me asking where did you get this hive of bees. We had some that came up from texas a couple years ago that came back AHB

3. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

These bees are in one of my TBH. I have not noticed scatch marks. I don't like working them since they are so mean. I suit up before I drive out because they will already be in you within 20 yds of hive. I have wondered if they might have turned ABH since they did come from Tx. They are a buckfast line.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would add a frame of eggs from another hive.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like you need to change the queen if she is still in the box. with no brood I would guess she is not and the hive may be in the process of changing the queen out themselves. this may or may not resolve your problem.

a Fuzzystuff snip..
    I suit up before I drive out because they will already be in you within 20 yds of hive.

tecumseh:
    this would be the proverbial last nail in the coffin if the hive was mine..

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I hear ya on that one, I use to have those little black bees and they would always come out to give you a hardy welcome. Was never so glad to see a bunch of hives die out, could not even work them to hunt down the queen, mean I tell ya, just plain mean. Could hear them giggle as they were stinging you through your suit, gloves and veil. 20 to 30 stings was to be expected before you high tailed it out of there, had left the tops off several times to have to come back later after licking my wounds. Running through the tall grass, weeds and trees seemed to help confuse them and they would loose your trail, or maybe it was because I was in the next county.

7. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Sounds like all of you have been playing with my hive and I have reached my limit. If it's not fun anymore why mess with it. I'm going to re-hive them and introduce a new queen. I much nicer queen. Thanks everyone.

8. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Just wanted to update you with my hot hive. I finally got them transferred out of the KTBH and into a Lang. I used 3G method of rubber bands worked great. the day I did it they were not as mean as they had been, but they were only 6 drone cells in the whole hive so I believe they were queenless. They had filled all of the brood area with honey and had stated to cap some of it. I put the queen cage in and there were a few bees that crawled over it I shook all the bees from comb and old box out in the field just in case I had a laying worker. I will go back Monday to pull the cork on the queen cage so they can let her out. and then I giving them a couple of weeks alone time to settle. I have notice what looks like white clover blooming around here I only as white because the plant looks just like the yellow only its white. We also have golden rain trees blooming and the bees have been on them like crazy. I think we still have a little flow going on but I placed a feeder just in case.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would think it is a little late for white sweet clover which according to my much dated hard drive always bloomed prior to yellow sweet clover.

good luck on that hot hive.

10. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I uncorked the queen and will leave themselves for 14 day and then check on them. I went with med brood boxes 1 is full from what I transfered and the other has foundation? I'm holding out for a chilled out hive. :D

11. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Went to check on hive for action at the front door and they were flying. the alfalfa field on the other side of the tree row is in full bloom and they were buzzing that direction. I walked up to the hive to put of the feeder and they did not even give me a second thought, so I'd say the hot hive is cool. Bouns I noticed an empty TBH that still had some empty comb attracted a swarm because there were a ton of bees coming and going from the entry. I did not open it up so I am just guessing on the swarm but with the amount of bees it had to be. :yahoo:

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like your little misadventure had a happy ending.

may the remainder of the season turn out well for ya'.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member