Hot Hives - as in temperature

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ziffa, Nov 14, 2011.

1. ziffa

ziffa New Member

Good morning,

Just finished tucking my hives in for the winter and already have my first winter musings subject! I was wondering what ya'll thought!

I was talking to a beekeeper who has had some troubles with his hives. I suggested he may want to move them to a sunnier location, as that seems to help with hive beetles etc. He said he was just worried about how hot they would get in the summer. That made me think.

I know I've read of fanning hives and bearding hives, but I don't think I've ever read or heard of a hive dieing of the heat. Have you? Can that happen? Mine are in full sun, and they get hot, and I prop the top but I don't worry that much about the heat. Am I off base?

Again, just a winter musing. Wondering what the eleven answers will be! :)

Happy Monday!
    ziffa

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If they have water and can ventilate the hive, full sun at the equator won't hurt them.

Shade and the SHB will kill them.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I've never had a hive get too hot, but then as Iddee says, I live in the "tundra".
    Seems to me I have heard tecumseh mention about nucs having melted comb but he lives in Texas.
    If you are propping the top I wouldn't think you should have too much to worry about.

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

As Iddee and Perrybees sez, ventilation (propping the top open) and a good, nearby (hopefully not the neighbors swimming pool) source of water will do the trick. The bees will do the rest.

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

A wooden hive with no observation port will survive. If there is glass or plastic the heat from solar gain will drive all the bees out. We learned the hard way with an observation hive in partial sun a few years back. The teaching hives over 40 are in full sun and had black or gray tops to limit SHB numbers. They were fine and still are. The queen in the observation hive that day started failing and had to be replaced.

6. ziffa

ziffa New Member

Cool. I wanted to say to him "I've never heard of heat killing a hive" but I thought I'd better "research" first. He has had some bad problems and I really think a contributing factor is because they are in too much shade. Ya'll confirm everything I 'feel' about the sun! Thanks!

Sweet note, he also said his hives were where they were so that neighbors wouldn't see them. He asked if I was worried about that. (We are both in the city and my hives are pretty much right out in the open.) I have awesome neighbors. The ones across the street told me that they noticed the bees were coming to their pond looking for water in the summer, so they set extra bowls out with rocks in them for them. She said they loved watching them drink and "they don't bother us at all, we haven't gotten stung once!" :D I love my neighborhood!

love,
    ziffa

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Sounds like a great place to live.

I've read some horror stories where the neighbors are all excited-going to the city council and demanding thet the bees be ran out of town. Check out some of the articles here on the forum under Bee News.