Hot, hot hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tyro, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Tyro

Tyro Member

I have two hives, right next to one another, in my yard that have both become crazy hot. One is from a log cut-out earlier this spring. The other is a year old - wasn't hot last year - with a Russian cross queen. I have 12 other hives. All are pretty docile, no problems - and then in the middle of the yard are these two. I pop the top - lots of smoke, pull off the supers and the top deep with few problems. The second I get into the brood box, I am covered in bees, they are pinging the hood, stinging at my wrist cuffs, swarming all over me, etc. I generally take 3-5 stings THROUGH my suit before I can get the lid back on (they don't get the stinger in up to the barb, but it hurts just the same). Then they follow me all the way down the hill to the barn (no other hives do that).

So, I am thinking that I am going to try to requeen them (before moving to the next step which is destroying them). Does anyone have any strategies for finding and pinching the hive queen in the midst of what will certainly be an armageddon of bees?!

Thanks.

Mike

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Pick your day nice sunney with a flow on separate the brood boxes and leave the honey super on the hive bottom board. set the other brood chambers on there own bottom board set 20 ft from where the colony was set. as the bees leave and feild bees return the go to the honey super in the original hive location. then go thrugh each of the brood supers in search of the queen. I call this method divide and concur. You are only dealing with 1/3rd of the bees at a time they are returning to a spot that is away from you.
    Good luck with this. Are you requeening with a bought mated queen are raising one for them? I don't believe they have African bees in Oklahoma, but they have found them in a hive in Colorado that servived the winter so you never know.

3. Tyro

Tyro Member

Thanks ApisBees. I am requeening with mated queens that I have purchased. They are shipping 24 June. One of my concerns is that I have just started raising my own queens and, although both of these hives are very productive, I don't want the genetics in my yard.

Oklahoma 'sort of' has Africanized bees. Africanized bees have been found in the southern half - but not in my county (I am in the north). However, I suspect that the Africanized bees extend north and then periodic hard winters in OK knock them back south or out of the state. Then the re-extend their range into OK.

The one hive could certainly be Africanized - it came from a cut-out of a cedar tree this past spring. The other though has a marked Russian queen in it - so I don't know why it got mean (it wasn't last year/same queen). Weird how two hives suddenly turn nasty while all the others around them are fine.

Mike

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well when you open the hives then I would destroy all the drone comb you find as well or you will have the genes in your yard anyways.

5. Tyro

Tyro Member

Well, the job is done. It wasn't as bad as expected. One of the hives was in the process of superceding. There weren't any eggs, but there were hatched and torn open queen cells. I found a queen and pinched her. I didn't care if they were behaving themselves or not - I wasn't about to give them a chance to build back up and get mean.

Found and pinched the queen in hive #2 also. They weren't too bad either, until I decided to look in the top deep where the honey is. Then it got ugly. Took two stings through the gauntlet part of the glove AND sleeve of the bee suit. Couldn't get the hive together fast enough.

Have some queens coming next week, so I will gear up and queen them then. After that, I plan on leaving them alone for awhile!

Mike

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You dequeend them early so they will start building emergency queen cells so you will need to go thru the hive and destroy all the cells that they have started. look closely as one mist cell will cause the bought queen to be lost.

7. Tyro

Tyro Member

queens in

Queens are in. You are right Apis - I found and cut several started cells in both hives. I actually like finding them, because I know that they are truly queenless then. I will check them in a week or so and see if the queens make it.

Mike

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It is important to be 100% certain that all of the hives' self-produced queen cells have been destroyed. If any of their own cells remain it can spell disaster and prevent the acceptance of the purchased queens you want to introduce.

9. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

I had a couple of hot hives LOL!

Attached Files:

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You already have figured this out your self but they need more room. Add supers.

11. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

Is it normal if they do this just not NEAR as bad. I have 2 supers on mine. The top theyve just started workin on and they still crowd around outside but nowhere near like this.

12. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

Double has near empty super and plenty of room, single is overcrowded, a very hot day, picture taken 6pm Dec 18 2013 Downunder