HOT weather & water

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Jun 15, 2010.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Last year I put boardman feeders on all of my hives with only fresh water - nothing else. The bees seemed to appreciate not having to fly too far to get water to cool their hives because they really went through it when the temps got high. Every other day or two, I would go out there early of a morning with a bucket of fresh water and switch their jars out.

Riverrat thought this would be a good post to get all opinions, what do you guys think?

I didn't do this till July last year because we had pleasant summer temps, but it has been in the 90s here and seems to be getting HOT early.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They have to have water, even if it's a mile away.
    The closer, the better, but I think I would try to find a larger container.
    A plastic kids pool full of straw and water works well. Just watch for mosquito larva and change or add clorox when they are seen.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

in regards to places I place bees water is always question number one.

here at the house they seem to like the ac water best.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Personally, I like the feeder idea. Only down side I can see is it reduces the open entrance area for ventilation.

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Use hive top feeders or divison board ones.
    Or just cheap free pickle jars from the local pizza joint.

:mrgreen: Al

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have never really worried about getting water to the bees as much rain as we have had the last 3 years. however I did have to buy a guy a new dog bowl because he couldnt keep the bees out of it. No matter were he put it.

7. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

A drippy faucet falling on pavement works here at the house as I never have to mess with it. Both of my outyards are next to my cattle so the bees just use the same trough.
    At one yard I have to pump water for the cows every day. On the few occasions when I'm in my wife's truck there will be a handfull of bees buzzing around getting water. When I pull up in my work truck like they're used to seeing, there's a cloud of them all over the tank waiting for fresh water by the time I get out of the truck to start the pump.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Long ago we took large numbers of bees to the Panhandle for the cotton crop. There is no standing water in the Texas Panhandle and the water table gets deeper every years from excessive pumping for irrigation purposes. Two years I can recall quite clearly we hauled water in 55 gallon drums to each and every yard constantly. The aerial spraying made the whole affair quite depressing.