How can I keep bees from nesting in my soffits without harming them?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Toreth, May 7, 2018.

1. Toreth

Toreth New Member

Several years ago, I had a large swarm of honey bees nest in the soffits underneath my gutters. They crawled into the small crevices between my house's brickwork and the wooden soffits. I contacted a beekeeper and he did a trap out. A year or two later, another swarm landed in the same place. The beekeeper came back, but by then a lot of the bees had either died or left, and he thinks it was because someone else in the neighborhood had sprayed them prior to them landing on my house. The beekeeper also caulked the area where the soffits meet the brick to try to prevent any bees from trying to nesting there in the future.

Since I've had two swarms try to nest on the same spot on my house, I'd like to do whatever I can to discourage bees from trying to nest there again. Is there any scent or anything that I can spray in the area to prevent bees from nesting there, without harming them? I've read a few things that mention garlic or peppermint oil, but I'm unclear if that would work to keep them away from the house, or if it just masks the scent of flowers to prevent them from landing on the flowers.

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

nothing much but to caulk tight any holes or seams any place they can get in, anything you spray wont last long as it weather and is open to the air to dissipate..

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd sure like to know if there is something but to my knowledge there isn't. Just keep it caulked. Maybe pressure wash that part of the house to try to remove the queen smell