How can I legally sell my honey in Michigan?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by queen_bee09, Jan 15, 2012.

1. queen_bee09

queen_bee09 New Member

Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to legally sell my honey? Right now I'm just selling it to friends and family. Eventually I want to do flea and farmers markets. Can I just get a DBA and label it according to the cottage foods act? Also, at what point do we have to claim our income from them. We have about 250lbs that needs to go, and I've had no problems selling it at $5 per pound. Thanks!

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

queen_bee09:

Get on the website of the Michigan Dept. Of Agriculture. You may need to do a bit of searching, but you should be able to find that information there.

3. queen_bee09

queen_bee09 New Member

I've been to the website and there is some wording that completely contradicts itself. I gave up searching and wrote an e-mail to our state apiarist. Hes putting me in touch with the inspector to clarify. I'm going to post when the word is in.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome queen bee. you might wish to introduce yourself on the introduction page??? as I think you now understand the law in regards to selling honey is different in each state???

5. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Unless there are some special regulations about how honey is handled where you live, putting it in jars w/ a standard label showing what the product is, HONEY, the name and address of who produced and bottled it and the weight of the contents is all that is necassary.

What do other beekeepers in your area do?

6. queen_bee09

queen_bee09 New Member

My biggest concern is if its necessary to get a dba in my county. The wording is very hard to understand on the dept of ag website. It states you can process in a home kitchen, so can I process in my garage? It also say we are required to meet building construction, sanitation etc...I've copied and pasted below what it says. If you can make sense of it, please clarify. Most of them I believe just bottle and label it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Sorry for the choppiness, I already typed this once and it didn't post.

E. Michigan Maple Syrup and Honey Licensing Exemptions

Under the Michigan Food Law of 2000, honey or maple syrup retail outlets and processing facilities operated by the producer are exempt from licensure, if gross sales are $15,000 or less.

Honey and maple syrup are not considered cottage foods, because the regulatory requirements and exemptions have some significant differences. They do, however, have their own set of licensing exemptions under the law. Here are some of the basic differences and similarities between honey and maple syrup regulations and those for cottage foods:

Honey and maple syrup producers who meet licensing exemptions must follow the same labeling requirements for their honey and maple syrup as those outlined for cottage food products. (Note: because honey and maple syrup cannot be processed in a home kitchen, the labeling requirement should read, "Processed in a facility not inspected by the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development."
    Honey and maple syrup producers who meet the licensing exemptions still must meet all requirements of the Michigan Food Law, including sanitation, building construct and design, employee hygiene, etc.
    Due to the nature of honey and maple syrup products and the equipment needed to process them, it is not possible to produce honey and maple syrup in a home kitchen and still meet the basic food processing requirements. Honey and maple syrup must be produced in a facility that meets basic processing requirements, as outlined in the Michigan Food Law.
    Honey and maple syrup producers can wholesale their products, including to grocery stores and other retailers who will then resell them, as long as they are labeled correctly. Honey and maple syrup producers are not limited to direct sales as cottage food products are.
    For more information on the Michigan Food Law, visit: http://michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-50 ... --,00.html

For information on Michigan's Cottage Food Law, visit: www.michigan.gov/cottagefood

Sample labels for maple syrup and honey:

7. rgy

rgy New Member

Queen bee, I talked to the mi. dept of ag. on this and the way I understand it, and the way I did it, is you can extract and bottle in your kitchen but you must label it with the wording that it was processed in a non inspected facility. And as long as you are under the 10 or 15k dollar limit it can be put into other stores. I had mine for sale in a couple local stores.

8. marycorbitt

marycorbitt New Member

You also need some permits to be able to sell those goodies. It may take awhile but the rewards of being an entrepreneur are the best. Goodluck!