How did this forum start?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Dec 20, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

To whom it may concern:
    (or perhaps one of you who has been here since the beginning)

I have wondered at times how this forum began.
    What was it that spawned it's birth?

Was it just a sudden brainstorm of Charles ? :eek:
    Was it a small group of beeks that formed together during a drunken weekend? :drinks:

Was the idea hatched because something was missing or lacking on other forums? :cry:

Was it the attraction of the big $$$$$ to be made running/maintaining/moderating the forum? :mrgreen: (my personal favourite).

My inquiring mind wants to know!
    If indeed the answer is personal, just use a secret codeword in the response (say........Pineapple!).
    If I see the secret word (Pineapple) in the response, I will know not to ask anymore questions about it! ;)

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

moderators making cash :rolling: I will put that on my wish list to santa.(charles iddee you listening here :D :Dancing: )

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I'm just guessing, but when mommy forum loves daddy forum... :shock: :lol:

Walt

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It was the money. I've seen times when I would make nearly 10.00 on a 3 month payday. Definitely the get rich quick angle. :thumbsup: You know Charles and I split 2 or 3 cent each time one of you click on a google ad. That adds up fast, with some months having nearly 100 clicks. :thumbsup:

Having fun on a forum had nothing to do with it. Especially since I found this one immediately after leaving THE BIG ONE in a huff :-x and looking for a place to call home.

The members here have nothing to do with it either. Just because I have driven to other states for the sole purpose of meeting and talking to them, don't think it is because I like the forum members.

To sum it up, when a bunch of good people get together, it just HAS to make for a good time. :thumbsup: :drinks:

I will say, tho, that the donations lately have been covering the costs of the site, so THANK YOU to all who have contributed.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I knew it, I knew it, it was the big $$$$ all along! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
    And driving to other states, tormenting members, how do you sleep?
    Another thing, how come you haven't driven up here to "torment" some of us "Tundra" folk? ;)
    Now I have my answer though, and it wasn't pineapple.

That reminds me, been awhile since I made one.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

And, PLEASE, take the above post with the humor and sarcasm it was meant to have. This forum is my favorite time on the internet, and I sincerely hope to meet many more of the members as time goes by. So far, I have traveled 6 states to meet them, and have had four of them to drive over a thousand miles from home "each" to visit me, of which I am eternally grateful.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Perry, it is 2 days up there and 2 days back. With one to visit, that means you have to have at least a 5 day summer. If you get one forecast, notify me and I'll try to make it. :thumbsup: :eek: :eek: :drinks:

8. Charles

Charles New Member

Perry, that's a great question. This forum actually started out as a support forum for another beekeeping related website many years ago and sort of took a life on of it's own so I moved it to it's own domain.

I have more websites than I care to think about (it's how I make my living) some good some bad, some make $$$ and some pay in other way's. There's alot of people that make life long friends here and I think it's pretty cool to be a part of that :drinks:

9. jb63

jb63 New Member

Good question Perry,and thx for doing it Charles and Iddee.I enjoy hearing about things in the warmer climates except for the shb.

10. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Thank goodness for new forums, regardless of how they get started. This allows someone like myself, options of moving on, whether by choice or by force, when moderators or a site owner grow too large, their egos explode, and they go off the deep end. For my own sake, someone get out there and start another one soon. It's just a matter of time. :thumbsup:

As for iddee, I was one of those that he traveled to another state to visit. We did however feel the need to meet at a neutral state. :D I don't forget that, even though I rub him sometimes. ;) He is always welcome at my place.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my sentiment exactly and thank goodness we have Bjorn expertise back here. no smilies....

12. rast

rast New Member

I agree.
    And regretfully when Iddee visited me I had no place for he and his wife to sleep (I do now). Always bothered me, but was having a sorry brother problem at the time. If you think Iddee's nice, you ought to meet his wife. Probably the only thing that makes him tolerable :D .

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You may have a point there, Rast. :D

Don't sweat the place to sleep. The trip was pleasurable enough to make it worthwhile if we would have had to sleep on the ground.

Thanks, BJ. The pleasure was two sided.