how do i deal with wax moth damaged comb.

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by gerretw, Sep 17, 2016.

1. gerretw

gerretw New Member

I went out of town for a week, came back to find a near empty hive, replaced with wax moths, silk and larva on my plastic frames. So what do i do? Should I scrape off the damaged comb, silk and moth larva, and spray it with a weak solution of bleach and water? Then rinse it off and leave it in the sun to dry out? And leave any comb that seems in good shape intact for when I get another batch of bees to replace these?

There are thirty or so bees still around the hive

EDIT Actually there were about a hundred or more bees - so i cleaned he frames, and the box - reassembled it and knocked or brushed the remaining bees back in the clean hive and gave them some sugar syrup, so hopefully they will start building new comb. I am going to ask a bee keeper I know for another swarm and put them in there. I got rid of the comb they had built because there were tiny wax moth larva infesting it, so i destroyed it. I was hoping it would be salvageable, to save them a lot of rebuilding, but no such luck.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

you could have put that comb in the freezer for 2 days which would have killed the larva, and the bees could clean up the rest. If you must clean up after wax moths, dunking in plain water or dumping a bucket of dishsoap water on the frames works, just be sure no bees in the way of the dishsoap

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Freezer will kill the larva on the frame and foundation. Don't forget to scorch, freeze, or treat the boxes.

​I have also found that on my plastic foundation, it's a good time to scrape down several year old nasty comb. There will still be enough wax left to get them interested.