How do they Know?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, May 17, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Seems like i've been working bees every day for three weeks now (except in bad weather) and i have this tiny hole in the end of my finger of my left glove (the one next to the little finger) you can hardly see the end of my finger through. I have been stung at least 6 times through that hole, how do they know that's me inside that hole??:???: Of course it's my fault, i have a new pair of gloves in the truck, or i could put a dab of propolis over the hole, but i can't ever remember to fix the problem until they remind me.:lol: The odd thing is, when they sting me there, it wakes my brain up on the left side in the back of my head.:roll: Jack

2. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

I don't know HOW they know, but they absolutely do!!! :lol: I went into one of my strongest hives a couple weeks ago, and I was alllll covered up! Well...except for that one half an inch spot above the ankle of my work boot I didn't notice! BLAMMO! 3 stings in that little spot before I knew what was happening! :eek: I call it their "find the soft spot" vision! :wink: Now fix that glove! :lol:

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have wondered the same thing. I got one through the vent in my gloves two days ago. My right hand is just now starting to look like a human hand, ha!

4. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

pheromones of course. The first bee that stung you left a pile of attack pheromones in that spot. subsequent ones homed in on that. I'll bet if you laundered that glove you'd stop getting stung there. As for how the first bee found the spot, they are instinctively drawn to sting in areas of contrast. So they go for eyes,nostrils,ears, etc. this helps them to find the weak spots of furry critters like skunks. So a hole in a glove is a bit like a nostril as far as the bee is concerned.

Bees don't even have to sting you to "tag" you. the first few that bounce off have already left traces of attack pheromones. That's why you're supposed to wash bee clothes often.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm 6ft. one and weigh 235 lbs. so there's alot of places they have to look before they find a tiny hole about the size of the end of a ball point pen on my glove finger:???:, and i'm not fury, my hair is getting thin, but i don't think they know that with my veil on.:lol: Your right though, i've taken several hits in the ears and around my eyes, but haven't took one on the nose yet.:thumbsup: I found out the other day that they don't like for you to set on them either. I wear Goat skin gloves and they have propolis all over them, i found if you put them in the wash and they dry out, they make a great statue and that's all there good for. Think i'm ready for a new pair anyway, and like Dave said when you get soaking wet with sweat and the vent netting lays on your arm, they'll find that too.:roll: Jack

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I must be lucky or have defective bees. Maybe because the colonies are all somewhat under strength. Went in at 6 pm tonight, and didn't wear boots, just tennies with jeans and my bee jacket, helper had a full suit but not taped up ankles and tennis shoes and helmet veil, stole brood, no stings. Granted sundown is at 8 pm. We wear heavy nitrile chemical handling gloves from home depot. Blue.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

all I can imagine is the bees doing a waggle dance in the hive letting the others know of the pin hole in the glove:grin: