How do you add your supers?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by efmesch, Apr 17, 2012.

1. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The forum has started getting reports of supers filling up and having honey ready "for the taking". Most beeks leave supers on the hive and add supers, as needed to build new combs and store the additional honey at least till the end of a honey flow.
    Where do you put your additional supers--adding them to the top of the hive ("top supering") or placing them lower down, directly above the brood nest ("bottom supering") or some other system?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If it's drawn comb, I top super. If it's a box of mostly foundation, I bottom super. Once that first box is "filled" it becomes a natural honey barrier so I tend to leave it in place.
    Interesting to hear what others do.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Drawn comb is top supered. Foundation is also top supered but will pull up 3 or 4 frames of drawn comb to attract the bees and then replace the robbed out comb with foundation, usually towards the outside.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I top super all during the flow. Even when drawing comb. Now that I have all my supers drawn out I pile on the supers before the flow starts using a queen excluder so they dont stove pipe the supers

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

You mean ya'll actually have a plan???!!! I'm just hanging on with fingernails and teeth to the top cover trying to ride out this first year!!!! Once I see six frames drawn out (8-frame equipment), nectar in most, and some capped honey I add another super to the top. I'm really stumbling, tripping, falling along this first year....my goal is to keep'em alive until next spring :shock:...any honey is a bonus!!!

riverrat, I haven't used a queen excluder yet. So far the bees have created honey barriers and the queens have behaved and stayed down below...it will probably come back to haunt me, though, but...

When using a queen excluder to prevent stove piping can the excluder be removed after the first super is fully drawn and filled? Or does it really matter if it's removed or not in regards to drawing comb and storing nectar above it once the bees are "in motion"? Naturally I don't want to hinder the bees doing their work and in my newbee brain I'm still trying to figure out the excluder/no-excluder aspect of things.:|

Ed

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

intheswamp said:
    "You mean ya'll actually have a plan???!!!" :grin:

once you have drawn comb, you will want to take advantage of the bees hoarding behavior, and drawn comb gives them the incentive to forage and fill the empty space. i top super as riverat does. if I have foundation to be drawn I bottom super as perry does.