How do you attract bees to syrup set away from the hive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by divkabee, Jun 16, 2011.

1. divkabee

divkabee New Member

I've been feeding my hives syrup in Boardman feeders set at the baseboard. (I know some of you don't like the Boardmans, but I've had no problem so far.) I'd like to set out syrup away from each hive (4 hives set very far apart) so I can set the syrup out more easily. I tried removing the feeders from the baseboard and setting out a feeder about 20 ft from one hive and about 50 ft from another. After an entire day, the syrup was still there and I never saw any bees investigating. Were they just used to having the feeder right at the hive? I would have thought that any syrup placed anywhere would easily attract bees.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I feed with boardman feeders over a hundred feet from the hives. They will not find them on a hot day. They will find them in the cool mornings or evenings and return all day the next day. Leave them in place away from the hives for a few days and they will find them.

3. bamabww

bamabww New Member

That's been my experience. I thought at first i didn't prepare the syrup right when it took a couple of days for the bees to find it. My feeder for one hive is probably 50 feet away under a huge tulip poplar.

The other one is right at the hive.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Also, if they are working something they like better, they won't touch the syrup. Jack

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Once they home in on something it is hard to turn their heads.

6. divkabee

divkabee New Member

Anybody try hanging a feeder from a tree limb?

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I place boardman feeders on my back porch. It is easy to step out my back door and fill them. I'm lazy!!

8. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

1.1 syrup is like kids and cookies---they will find it. The only drawback is that the wind blows all the time on this hill, and the scent takes a while to track down. Prowling foragers will locate it in good time.
    LtlWilli

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

To answer the question in the title, ya don't if they don't want it. If bees don't need feed, don't try to make them take it. It's a waste.

"Bees make better beekeepers than beekeepers make bees." Michael Palmer

10. divkabee

divkabee New Member

Squeak - There's no doubt that my hives want it. We're in a drought with dry vegetation all around and few nectar sources. They suck down the syrup in a Boardman feeder placed at the hive entrance. I was wanting to get a feeder away from the hive so that I can change the feeder easily. I think my problem is that they're used to being fed at the hive and it may take a few days for them to take to another feeder.

11. Flyman

Flyman New Member

divkabee, I have hung a 3 gallon plastic chicken feeder in a Mesquite tree about 7 feet off the ground. If works really well and keeps the flight path above your head. The feeder I got from Tractor Supply and made a modification of putting sponge in the drinking trough. They drown if you don't put something there. Also, the supply hole that keeps the trough refilled needs a piece of screen or something to keep the bees out of the main supply. Mine will drink 3 gallons a day with this setup.

12. divkabee

divkabee New Member

Tom - I like the chicken feeder idea. What did you use to hang it and how did you attach the hanger to the feeder? And are you talking about a "dry" chicken feeder you converted to liquid use, or did you mean a chicken "water" feeder?

13. Flyman

Flyman New Member

You are correct, a chicken "waterer", I misstyped feeder. It has a bail in the top and I used a rope and threw it over a limb and pulled it up to the height I wanted. With 3 gallons of syrup, it is pretty heavy. I give it a boost while pulling on the rope and then tie the rope off to the tree. A cheap pulley system would help a lot, but that just adds complexity.

14. riverrat

riverrat New Member

my neighbor tried that once. It was called a humming bird feeder unfortunately my bees found it to there liking also :D

15. divkabee

divkabee New Member

riverrat - That's good to know. I was wondering if a hummingbird feeder would make a good bee feeder.

Anybody else have experience with hummingbird feeders used for syrup feeding?

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It works, but my bees can empty a boardman half gallon in half the time they can empty a pint hummingbird feeder, so it isn't very efficient.