How Do You Fellow Beeks Remove Bees From Frames and Transport them to Home

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by lazy shooter, Apr 25, 2013.

1. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

To All:

Saturday I will perform my first honey extraction. I have a Bee-Escape board from BetterBee and I plan on placing it below the targeted honey super on Friday noon. Then I will take the targeted super off the hive on Saturday at noon. If the Bee Escape works, the bees will be below the targeted super, if not, what is the best method of removing frames for extraction?

As always, your replies will be appreciated.

Lazy

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Suit up and fire up the smoker. Take an empty super, something to cover it with, and your bee brush. Pull the top and inner cover from the target super and remove the first frame. Brush the bees off the frame back into the super. Place the now bee-less frame in the empty box and cover it-this prevents robbing. Repeat until all the frames have been moved, then you can either replace the frames or pull the empty box. I drive truck and am gone 5-6 days a week, so don't have time to let an escape board do its job.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

:thumbsup: on Gunny's method. My method is pretty much the same except for the "tap" as you will read below.

I took the the medium to extract off and placed to avoid the volcano of bees coming from below. I had a tub or another empty super nearby with a towel over the top. I took each frame out and gave it a quick, sharp tap on one of the bottom corners of the frame on the ground in front of the hive. I brushed any remaining bees off and placed it in the covered container. Repeat. It worked really well for me personally.

4. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

When I put on the escape board for a day I only had about 30 or 40 bees left in the whole super. Actually I found the super was pretty much empty after just 6 hours. I brushed them off with a large goose feather. I like the goose feathers because the bees don't get tangled in them and they are disposable when they get gummed up. I use deeps for supers and like to split the frames between two boxes for transport. Nobody likes a sore back.

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Using a clearer board

Clearer boards work best if you give the bees some space to move into. I like to use a super of drawn empty comb under the clearer board.