How/do you keep records?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jun 12, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I am curious how many of us keep records or notes, etc.?
    I have been using a method as follows but have decided to add another step this year.

#1 - Field notes - I just use a small book or binder that I scrawl notes on out in the field. (many times done while wearing gloves covered in propolis so they are not long/complicated, and lots of abbreviations).

[​IMG]

#2 - Monthly calendar - When I get home, I transfer everything from my field notes to one of those desk-top calendars. Up until now I found it easier to keep track of things.

[​IMG]

#3 - Binder - I have now incorporated a binder with a tab for each individual hive. I found that I would have to hunt all over the monthly calandar for a hive# I was looking for. Another problem I had was when I went out to the yards, I would look at a hive and try to remember when I was last through it and what I saw (hey, I'll be 53 on Wednesday, cut me some slack!).
    The binder has all the information on when and what I found for each hive and will come with me out in the field for quick reference.

[​IMG]

At some point I will have to figure out how to simplify and/or streamline this, maybe skipping the monthly calendar altogether.

Anyone else have a better system to make my life a little easier? :mrgreen:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I can't even read or write!!

Sounds like you need to sign up on that.......oh what is it called......"hive tracks" computer program to keep up with all of your hives, pretty neat program. Only thing I did not like about it was that you had to log into a website to use it, it was not a program you could down load onto your computer.

I just have a hand full of hives, not too big of a problem for me. If I need to remember to look at something I will write it down on the big calender in the kitchen.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I swear to remember what a hive looked like on a given day. And I do, until I get to the next hive. :(

Each time I go in one, it's a whole new experience. I'll be 66 in less than a month.

4. rast

rast New Member

A wirebound notebook in my truck. A sharpie on the side of the brood box (used the most). A calendar on clip board in my barn for queen raising.
    I kept a pretty good record for a couple of years on my computer of mainly my micro climate related beekeeping. UNTILL that irresponsible, unforeseen, hard drive crash (backing up is what I do in my truck). That would be the advantage of hivetracks.

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

Small note book and Hive Tracks.

Like the way Hive Tracks works and easy to use on my iPad.

6. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

I just signed up on hive tracks, looks good.

7. BKeilman

BKeilman New Member

8. bamabww

bamabww New Member

So far I've just jotted down notes in a spiral notebook.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I write notes in a spiral binder and I also write reminder on the side of the hive to remind me of smaller detail. Sometimes I will also use the brick method to distinguish one hive in a larger group that needs help.

I looked at the hive track stuff when I first became aware of it (a fellow announced that it was up and running at the bee convention in Galveston) but after looking at what was there I could not determine how it was suppose to work <perhaps this would make for a good thread. I know the folks that designed this program were from North Carolina... perhaps someone of authority could ask them to come over here to address questions.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Here is the link to it

https://www.hivetracks.com/

The creator of the program is a member here and if you do a search can pull up some old threads about it, did not seem to be much interest in the beginning so he has not been back since Aug 2010. I would think a quick PM would bring him back for some Q & A.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I sent him an email. We will see what happens.

12. mhenson

mhenson New Member

13. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I carry a sharpe with me and write on the top cover of each hives any notes I may need

14. Tia

Tia New Member

I keep a journal, but I also take photos so I can see which hives received and which hives surrendered boxes. The photos help me remember the details of the inspection.

15. divkabee

divkabee New Member

I keep notes in an Excel spreadsheet, one tab per hive. I only have 4 hives so it's manageable. One column for the date, one was notes, and one for age of the colony (calculated automatically from the date). I don't keep notes in the field because gloves make it clumsy. So, I keep key observations in mind and record them soon after so as not to forget them. What I like about the spreadsheet format is I decide what I want the columns to be and can move things around to re-organize as needed without having to recopy notes.

16. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hi, Mark. Thanks for stopping in. Hope you make it a regular habit.

18. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I used to work hard to keep detailed records of everything, but now I just keep track of the financials.

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Is there some kind of legend that explains what the various colors, symbols and numbers means on the hive tracks program and how does one go about identifying the gps location for yards? I would guess the location information is private although the hive track developers might use it for their own purpose???

my mind is simply boggled by how I might number hives in a particular yard and how I might determine age of a hive. this years additions would be easy but working backward a bit more difficult.

20. milapostol

milapostol New Member

We just use a binder. A habit because we're also mushroom foragers, so beekeeping on one side and mushrooming on the other. Right after the inspection, we sit right down INSIDE and recall all the manipulations and make little drawings. I like the idea of taking pictures, though.