How/do you keep records?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

I hear you on this. I only started this year but with 4 hives it took me a full night to capture all my previous data from notes of first two months.

I would suggest just picking a point and work from there. Ie add the date that you last queened the hive.

Location I pulled from Google maps. I have no issue with it published.
    Of course I am also a computer kinda guy, an engineer too so data is important and my wife says I am anally retentive.

Color changes with hive health. Just slide the bar.

I have been able to use the iPad as well , so am able to take it with me to the hives. Need to use in portrait mode though.

I will start a new thread and show how I use it if anyone interested. ??

I also chose to name my hives rather than number them.

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Mark I am enjoying the sw but would love an offline input ability ( maybe a form ?) also chance to add names for say bee stock. We have a local survivor bee genetics in Triad and have no way to show that queen as being different. Two of my hives are from that stock and breeders are offering them as such.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

zulu thank you for your input, effort and suggestion here.. and yes I would be very much interested in some kind of demo or hive track simulation. I think this kind of thing could be useful, although not an engineer, almost anyone with an analytical mind knows that good analysis first requires good data. implementation* is always a bit more difficult than folks often believe.. I tire a bit on the "it's intuitive" sales pitch.

I don't really mind location and data being used by the folks in charge but given the value of some things (like survivor stock for example which you seem to mention) I would not want the entire world to have access to some information.

just slide which (where?) bar?

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

Ok in my office tomorrow I will do some screen captures.

As for the survivor stock. Our own Iddee was best friends with the gentleman who bred these bees. Iddee has helped local breeders extend the stock. We call them Waynes bees in honor of Wayne who passed on a few years back.

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I should add that in addition to keeping track of the financials, I also write on the hives the info that I need to know, such as queenless on what date... etc.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

zulu writes:
    We call them Waynes bees in honor of Wayne who passed on a few years back.

tecumseh:
    we have our own source of commercial 'survivor bees here' and given the time and resources required to develope such a entity they are well worth stealing for their genetic value more than their 'bee' value. small or large you would want to limit folks knowledge of where these kinds of assets are stored.

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks Zulu for the effort. it will take this old dog several times thru to get this new trick down.

and of course another question...
    since there was some mention that it was begin used commercially is there any size (ie number of hives) limitation.

and what does the little fork and knife symbol mean?

9. Zulu

Zulu Member

Knife and fork is exactly what you would think it is. Hive is being fed at present. I have hive top feeders on all my smaller hives. Gallon a week per hive approx. They gobble it up so fast I cannot keep enough mixed up.

10. rail

rail New Member

Zulu,

We are just a few miles apart and my new hive is only consuming 1 oz. or less a day? :confused:

Are you in the city or suburbs?

11. Zulu

Zulu Member

In the city, they will finish a qt in 36 hrs on the smallest hive, the biggest I am feeding takes almost 2 qts in 48 hrs. I travel for work so only checking every 2-4 days at present , but have been going through 3 gallons of 1:1 mix a week. I am adding Honey B Healthy to the mix, 3 Tble spoons to 3 gallons