How do you kill this stuff?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by srvfantexasflood, Sep 11, 2010.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I am seeking suggestions on how to kill this horrid vining euonymous wintercreeper that has taken over the chain link fence and yard. The people we bought the house from, 1996, had planted this stuff all over. Now, 2010 it has crept into and taken over everything! Basically, where ever it touches down it puts out roots. It has grown into the fence and is ruining it. I have tried to cut it and put stump killer on the cut. That only seems to produce lateral growth. The local extension office recommended Roundup for poison ivy and vines. it works great on the poison ivy, but only makes the euonymous look stunned. I have sprayed once a week for 3 weeks. Now that fall it coming, I think it's not going to make much difference. Roundup works better when the plant is actively growing. The cost of Round up is starting to add up. Any suggestions?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Never, never soak the root area with diesel fuel. It is against the law, and the law can see where nothing grows for a year or two.

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Well, I usually go for the "natural" first, but I think your euonymous will think it's a pre-meal drink. What we use for mesquite is Remedy, made by Dow Agro Sciences. I haven't looked up what else they recommend, but here's the site:

http://www.dowagro.com/ca/prod/remedy.htm

It's not inexpensive: I think a quart concentrate is about $100...now that I think about it, maybe it is inexpensive when you figure I've had ours for 3 years. :-?

The site may have other suggestions.

Walt

4. beehandler

beehandler New Member

my wife swears by clorax (bleach ).... i have had luck by mixing salt and water.

5. srvfantexasflood

I neglected to mention that this area is adjacent to a ditch that feeds into the street guttering that ultimately goes to a stream. Another caveat: I have one of my hives about 10 ft. from this mess growing in the fence. I have been extremely careful about spraying when there wasn't any breeze any all of the foragers are out.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

7. beekeeperhelper

beekeeperhelper New Member

If you want to use something organic, you might try horticultural vinegar. It has a higher acid content than the grocery store type of vinegar (which does fine to keep weeds out of paths but isn't strong enough for your vine). It is sold on-line and at many nurseries. Horticultural vinegar is a great herbicide, but generally non-toxic to other forms of life. I say generally, because I am not sure about fish/water creatures. A short search on it should tell you what you need to know about toxicity.

8. srvfantexasflood

I don't think vinegar will do it. I think I am going to try SALT. Bleach is kind of scary and I don't think that would be good getting into the stream water way. Salt is inexpensive. I am going to have to wait for all this rain to stop. It has rained most of yesterday and all day today.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Bleach won't get in the waterway. Chlorine dissipates very quickly. It will be gone within a day or two.

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

1 yr ground clear works pretty well... take a dropper, put a few drops on some of the leaves and it'll work it's way through the whole plant killing it.

11. srvfantexasflood

I've reached the end of my rope! Today, I am going out there with a 40# bag of water softener salt crystals. AT $1.25 per pound, it seems economical enough. I hope that I am not too late in the growing season for these horrible vines to take up some salt. I think the crystals will dissolve slowly and be able to work over a long period of time, unless we get a hard, hard rain. I poured some bleach out there and it killed the more tender vines, but not the wintercreeper.

The husband, a history buff, claims salt it the way the Romans completely destroyed Carthage. After 120 years of war, the Romans finally won. In victory, they plowed salt into the fields around Carthage so that nothing would ever grow there again.

Iddee- are you speaking from experience regarding the diesel fuel? :eek:

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

IF I am, I plead the fifth. :wave:

Remember, I'm older than the EPA.

13. beekeeperhelper

beekeeperhelper New Member

Salt may leach into the ditch which goes into the stream. Please read on the bag to see if the water-softener salt crystals have any detrimental effects on aquatic life.

14. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

They absolutely would if the concentration leeching into the stream is strong enough. If the stream is fast moving, it's a pretty safe bet that the level of dilution by the time it leeched into the stream would be too little to make a difference, but if it is slow moving it could make a big difference.

15. srvfantexasflood

This ditch traditionally backs up during the spring rain. My hopes are that the fall rains with start the dissolving of the salt granules and that the winter snow holds it in place so that it can really kill those roots. By the time the spring rain comes, the salt should be melted into the soil.