How do you make your syrup?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by queen_bee09, Sep 2, 2010.

1. queen_bee09

queen_bee09 New Member

Hello again,
    Like I said in an earlier post, my husband and I want to go into bees big time. Now I'm looking for advice on the best way to make mass quantities of sugar syrup, and I figured its easier to draw on the wisdom of those who have gone before me than trying to figure it out all on our own. We're thinking along the lines of a food grade tote which holds 240 gallons, but we're not really sure. So basically, how do you make your sugar syrup and any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

mix hot water and sugar, stir until dissolved. In a big plastic tote, not sure how you would stir the mixture up unless there was a large opening on the top to use a drill motor and mixing paddle or use of a pump to circulate the mixture inside.

2 parts sugar and 1 part water for fall feeding and building stores.
    1 part sugar and 1 part water for spring and/or summer build up, simulates a flow and gets them to draw comb.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am pretty old school here so there is nothing elaborate about my set up. It consist of a large SS beer keg with a valve welded into the bottom and a large round whole cut into the top (actually the round part cut from the top of the barrel got tacked unto the bottom to provide a bit more sturdy base). I set this on a propane cooker stand. height is somewhat important since you want the value high enough to fill directly into whatever kind of vessel you are putting the syrup into.

I pour in 5 gallons of water and heat. Once warm to the touch I pour in 50# of sugar. this is about 1 to 1 so it doesn't take a lot of heat to get the job done.

this year I hope to elaborate from this to directly filling combs as a feeding mechanism. we will see how that goes.

4. rast

rast New Member

Not what I do, but what I have seen done by an old time commercial beek. He had an old drill press affair with a welded up paddle and a designated hot water heater to fill the drum he would chuck the paddle down in.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Where's riverrat and his trolling motor in the 55 gallon drum??

6. hardwood

hardwood New Member

We mix in a 270gal tote on the back of the truck. 1/2" drill motor with a mixing paddle w/welded extension. we pump it with a 3/4hp syrup pump (12 volt) to a gas pump style valve and fill feeders right at the hives.

Scott

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I was just getting ready to make that suggestion aint nothin better than a troling motor and a 55 gallon drum

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

we need video of this :lol: :lol:

9. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

your close enough all it would cost would be the gas to get here :D