How do you run your hives?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Dan, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Dan

Dan New Member

Hi folks,

My name is Dan Cook and I'm a hobby beekeeper and mature-age design student. I'm currently researching beekeeping and how todays modern beekeeping practices effect the beekeeper and the bees for my Honours project. I'm not looking to design the next flow hive or anything like that, just get an understanding of peoples practices and problems.

It would be fantastic if you could spare three or four minutes to let me know a few details about you practice. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me on: d9.cook@connect.qut.edu.au

The questionnaire is here if you would like to help out https://goo.gl/forms/O3c1eb7eWp6FyK6y2

Thank you so much for your time in advance , and if this is not the right place to post this I apologise and will place it properly elsewhere if you could point me in the right direction!

Dan

PS. Keep up the amazing work! [​IMG]

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

I find it funny how everyone wants free info right off the bat, instead being a contributing member then asking...and how is this going to help me? are you sales for a company, writing a book...everyone has a story but nothing to back it up..nothing personal, but all too questionable for me..if your gona make $$ of my info at least be forward about it...your not the first to ask and its not limited to this forum...but if favors are to be asked like this, then make it worth while to answer...

3. Dan

Dan New Member

Hi, thanks for you opinion roadkillbob. You are, of course, complete entitled to your opinion on my motives, so let me address a few of your points for clarity.
    • Free information from a non-contributing member: Yes, you are absolutely correct, I have joined this forum (as I have a number of others) purely to gather anonymous statistics on hive type, foundation type, injury rate incidents and features that influences hive choice.
    • Helping you - or anyone else who spends 3 minutes completing the short form: This won't help you I'm afraid, at best this will provide a minute or twos interest to forum members when I publish my results. As I stated in my original email, this is completely voluntary and I am using this as research data from my honours thesis. I have provided my academic email connected to my university account, not a personal account, as per university ethics policy. If you would like to see the ethics approval for the survey methods, showing that the methods of collection has been cleared by my university ethics board, please PM me and I will happily send this through to you.
    • Questionable: you are more than welcome to google my name and my institution name: Queensland University of Technology. you may find articles such as this: http://blogs.qut.edu.au/science-eng...beekeepers-when-their-hives-are-under-attack/
    • There is no financial benefit for this research. In fact, this is cost me money as my degree will run to a $32,000 bill by the end of this year. As a beekeeper and researcher, I'm just trying to find issues within the systems we use so I can write about them and they can be improved. In my experience, most beekeepers know a lot of issues and are more than capable of modifying their hives to fix issues, such as adding lifting cleats or screened bottom boards. At maximum, the benefit I will get out of this data is a context paragraph or two in a paper that I hope to publish later this year. (this does not earn money, just like most academic papers)
    • Making it worth while to answer the questionnaire: Unfortunately I have no funding for financial recompense. However, it is hoped that the information I create from this will benefit the entire community, just like other funded and non-funded research into bees has done. An example of this might be the research done into CCD, AFB,EFB,Varroa,SHB,IAPV and many other common diseases, pest and issues.
    I have not meant to offend anyone by asking what kind of hive you use, and apologise if I have. There are many beekeepers who are more than happy to contribute to the general knowledge pool on bees, so if you do not, that is your right and choice.

Thanks, and I hope I have cleared up some of your concerns.

Dan

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

Hi, some are cleared up. and like I said before this is nothing personal with you, I just see patterns of these inquiries for info on many forums im on, including this one( actually I think within the week there was another inquiry like yours . you can be as legit as legit is..Im just voicing my opinion on what I see and hear..but dont you think you would get more responses to answer your questions if you didnt go about it so clinical?

5. Bryan Brassell

Bryan Brassell New Member

I filled it out for you, took me 2 minutes. Good luck with your thesis.

Steve's Bees likes this.