How do you Southerners stand it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Jun 30, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Dag Nabbit it's hot up here today!
    30 C with a Humidex of 33 but I'm havin a hard go of it.
    How in the heck do you guys deal with the 100 + F????????
    I'm in pain up here! :eek:
    Adam Foster Collins is supposed to drive over tomorrow and we're gonna go through some hives, I hope he shows up at dawn! :shock:
    Tried my new Ultrabreeze out yesterday but when it gets this hot I don't know if much helps.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Well, when it tops 90, we put the coat away and wear only a heavy jacket.
    When it tops 100, we remove the jacket.

IF it hits 105, we discard the longjohns.

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Luckily, this is not the norm. Also, luckily, the humidity is only around 25%. If we had the normal humidity of 80-90% with these high temperatures, it would certainly be oppressive and unbearable.

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

LOL, anything I have to do I do early. By 10am it is too late to start doing anything with the bees, even with an ultrabreeze. The sweat in your eyes, the runny nose and the clingy sweat soaked underwear just isn't worth it :)

Jim

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If I am going to work outside will be outside before the sun gets up and never go to the A/C. Sip water all day long, light lunch and plenty of breaks. When the outside chores are finished it is A/C time and do not go back out. Hot shower, nap and supper kind of late (10:00 sometimes). I find that the killer is the A/C, just too big of a temperature swing to be going in and out. Light weight loose clothing is a must also.

6. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Today was the first day it did not break 100 degrees plus for about a week...but the humidity made it feel like I was in Louisiana again...Tom

7. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Perry, you have to be born down here to live in it.

I have lived here all of my life, been around the states and still would rather be here than anywhere else. I do not see how ya'll can deal with the cold weather.

Temps were in the mid 90's today with humidity in the high 70's, you would sweat just standing in the yard.

Checking my hives is done early morning, before 800 and I'm still soaked with sweat when done. I only have four to do!
    Robert

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Yikes. Sure makes me glad to be in NY where it's only been 85-90F lately!
    I wear two layers of lightweight loose cotton and that works just fine without getting too overheated.

9. Zulu

Zulu Member

95 is a three beer night, 100 is at least 6 beers as the first 3 evaporate

105 , whole case a least. We made 104 today so only 12 tonight. :lol:

10. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Had to inspect 6 today. It was day 14. VBS, and family in town pushed it out a bit more than I would normally wait, when two were having queen issues and one having swarming issues. I went out at 10am. I wear a bathing suit under the inspection jacket and jeans. Hit the pool immediately after picking up the tools. Dry air and light breeze helped. All were very sweet, except the one feisty hive. That hive always tries to wear me out, smoker, full bee suit and gloves all a must for me.. Steve works it without a bee suit, and they are so good for him.... I officially told him that she is his baby now!

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

My wife hales form NY and suffers terribly from the heaat. I was born in Miami Beach. My youth there immunized me against days of oppressive heat and humidity.

Why take off your coat, your jacket or your long Johns? Take a break in the middle of your work, squeeze them out into a jug, drink up and you're all refreshed and ready to continue. :lol::rotfl:

12. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Today's forecast is 14C max.

Don't be envious. It's b****y awful. .:eek:

13. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I always am suited up, and while mid day would be better to work the bees, as most the ill tempered foragers would be out in the field, my work schedule demands I work towards evening, not quite late enough to reduce the heat ( will be to 97 today, was 89 11PM last night-lol good sleeping weather with A/C and a fan ) I am a bit drained by the time I am done and drink vast quantities of water and a cup or two of coffee. No I don't drink beer without cause like with my lady and then isn't beer is sangria. I actually find that really refreshing.
    Barry

14. riverrat

riverrat New Member

awe Perry its not that hot down here. We just send them numbers up to the tundra division to make you feel better.:rolling:

15. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I love the heat. I was raised in Florida and you could not get me inside. Humidity I'm not too fond of it but I can deal with it. Now, when it gets in the 40's and lower, skies are gray, no leaves on the trees. I'm ready to move way down South! Hate it!!!