How do you stop them from swarming?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

My neighbor had one of his hives swarm on him yesterday. He did catch them.

We looked in his other hive and found about 7 or 8 swarm cells. Did not see queen yesterday. But still a lot of bees in hive. Not for sure they have swarmed yet. All the swarm cells were capped and look to be ready to hatch. in fact I removed one of the QC that was on a bottom corner and put in one of my queenless cutouts. She hatched out about an hour after I put her in my hive.

What are his options from keeping them from swarming on him now. I told him he had to find the queen and get her and a lot of bees and put them in another box.

He said someone told him if queen is still in there, rearrange the brood box and tear out all of the queen cells and she will stay.

I thought that once the cells were capped and getting close to hatching, then it was hard to change their minds.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Read my thread Swarm cells Already? that is the way i do it if i can't find the queen. If your neighbors hive is that far along and you didn't find the queen they have probably already left. But then you could have over looked the queen, if there was alot of bees still there, i've had the same problem. Jack

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

More than likely he will end up with a queenless hive.
    Once bees have decided to swarm, there is precious little you can do to persuade them not to, other than fooling them into thinking they have already swarmed.
    Removing the queen and a bunch of bees does that most times.
    I would strongly suggest that this hive has already swarmed. Given that you took a capped queen cell that emerged an hour later suggests so. Most queens that leave in the prime swarm do so a few days before their successor emerges.
    Do not cut out cells.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thanks,

Just talked to him and went over very carefully and cant for a queen and didn't see any eggs. so he just left it as is.

:lol: He has queens popping out everywhere. We saw one hatch as we were looking through the hive that swarmed yesterday. I was going to take that queen cell down to my queenless cutout and out she came. So we put her in the hive that just swarmed. there were about 10 other capped queen cells in there.

Then I took that queen cell from the other hive and she hatched out in the cutout.

When talking to him a few minutes ago, he said when he put things back together,looked at one of his other hives and on the brick on the top cover sat another new queen.

Hes got queens, queens everhwere.

He could cut out about 12 or more capped Q cells if he wanted to. I saw 3 queen cells attached to each other, side by side, on the bottom of one of the frames.

He has a completely different philosophy than I do about managing hives. I think he may be changing :wink:

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Dang, that's cool! It would be nice if you had a buyer for each one of those queens....

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member