How do you store your supers in the winter?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by mjrice, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hobie, bt may be cheaper, as you don't have to apply it over and over. Once and it's done.

AND..... As Murrell said, no more moths, and a 1/4 lb. has lasted him 4 or 5 years and he still has plenty.

I bought a half lb. and have been selling it for 1.50 per teaspoon for 3 years, used it on all my frames, and still have 1/2 pint. I have all my money back, plus some. You can't get any cheaper than that.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

tecumseh:
    most times thru the active wax moth season I don't store empties at all but keep them on fairly active hives and come the cool weather slowly bring them in here. most years I need not treat with anything.

as to wax moth like most things associated with the bees I am not a purist nor idealogical driven beekeeper but one who primary concern is keeping bees alive with whatever works and doesn't harm bees or bee keeper or my customers. I do draw some line in the sand in regards to APPROXIMATE and ULTIMATE outcome. as Sundance suggest there is some concern with para moth products... this is related to the benzene I would guess (which was very early on put on the list as a cancer causing agent). for many folks BT is a superior product not only in regards to this possible connection with cancer but para moth requires you to constantly stack and retreat.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Hobie--that is a briliant idea and perfectly suitable for my personality. But rather than call myself cheap, I like to say "frugal"---it sounds better. :lol:

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

BT has no effect on small hive beetles, so if you live where SHB are - think PDB, it works for moths and SHB! WallyWorld and groceries have PDB fairly cheap.

5. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Walmart has crystals under the name ENOZ that are a 3rd of the price of BK supply stores. We use Sundances BT tho.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

I use BT now, but was using para moth balls bought at our local MFA store. They last longer than the crystals. Jack

7. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

I've been keeping my unused supers in my basement but living in the city and having no garage nor storage building makes such storage challenging. This space now needs to be cleared out, so I'm going to try storing everything outdoors.

I was thinking of stacking supers of empty comb on top of a screened lid I made several years ago for moving bee's in hot weather. All this on one of my regular hive stands. The screen should keep the mice out while allowing ample ventilation, and the BT with which I just treated the comb should protect them from the wax moths.
    So the sequence will be(bottom to top) hive stand, inverted screened lid, supers with comb, lid.
    Also considering leaving them accessible for the bee's via an upper entrance of some sort...to allow them to clean any remnants of honey and to entice any passing swarms during swarm season.
    Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations relative to this plan?

8. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:
    Barry:

I store mine in a "deck box" like you would use to store the cushions from your patio furniture in. Plastic, and weather proof. I just today bought another one from my local Big Lots store for $99.00.

Like snookie posted, unwanted visitors may take an interest in your stored combs.

9. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

How many Medium supers might typically fit on one of these deck boxes? One of my goals is to "not" acquire more "things" LOL!

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Barry Tolson writes:
    One of my goals is to "not" acquire more "things" LOL!

tecumseh:
    my thinking is pretty much the same here although all these white boxes and frames certainly jam up my drive way from time to time.

I would never store wet supers under any conditions. As such they are just to much of an attraction to a lot of things. Here wets are placed back on a hive and it likely takes no more than a day or so for them to be scrubbed and polished. After the girls clean them up I have no concerns with storing almost anywhere and if necessary would even store them outside.

In places like Ohio and Indianapolis I should warn folks that the wax will become as brittle as glass with freezing weather and needed to be treated like fragile china when the temperature is extremely cold.

11. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Mine will sit there all winter without even being thought of. They will not be touched until the temperature rises again next spring.